1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jazzman1021, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Okra

Okra Member

Springtime for Hiro Hito?

2. kev

kev Member

Thanks for the thread @jazzman1021

EDIT: in my haste to post I blanked: @CRAIG4FSU , I meant earlier to extend my condolences to you and your family, and thanks to your Papaw for his service.

I too, lost my Granddad this August @94. He did the same (volunteering the day after Pearl Harbor @ the Navy recruiting station / although slightly older than 15...wow), being assigned to the USS Penn (sister ship to USS Arizona) in early '42 once it was battle ready and didn't come home until the war was over.

This was his Division. He's on the fourth row, throwing attitude, LOL:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

This morning in line with co-workers....

Middle age adult male 1 = Why is the flag at half mast today?

Middle age adult male 2 = I don't know.....oh wait....yeah it's D-Day!

Middle age adult male 1 = (Puts hand to fore head) Oh yeah, D-Day! I can't believe I forgot.

FbIsNotE = This is a day that will live in INFAMY! Today is Peal Harbor Day.

Bob Pollock, pbmw and Okra like this.
  4. cadduc

cadduc Member

Early, Sunday morning after a late Saturday night of celebrating,
    A sneak attack, a day that will live in infamy

remember them, and remember everyone that was part of fighting against the evil tyranny that the United States and the rest of the world faced
    those that fought and died
    those that fought and came home, to rebuild our country
    the generation was that of my father and uncles, my father in law a 16 y/o marine that was part of the south pacific island conquest, iwo jima, etc., , my mother in law was a marine and served as an illustrator drawing the detailed maps they used in the south pacific and in Europe,

My godfather served as a navigator in a heavy bomber, came home after the war, was married, had two kids, contracted polio, was in an iron lung, recovered, was conscripted again and served two tours in Korea, he was an officer after all, later he was the primary/lead machinist at the IBM research center

Remember Peal Harbor

5. THebert

THebert Member

Yep, sounds like it could be straight out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. :)

A-Bone and EricPeterson like this.
  6. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

all the witnesses to this day are at least 93 now........not too many left

as a Navy vet i know exactly what 8am on a sunday morning is like and what they were doing when the torpedos started falling.

Bob Pollock and pbmw like this.
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Fatwa!

Okra and THebert like this.
  8. THebert

THebert Member

I laughed out loud so much when that was first unveiled on the show. Rewound it and laughed again. Larry has been killing it if you ask me.

A-Bone likes this.
  9. jblake

jblake Member

What struck me is the overwhelming number of Japanese tourists at the Pearl Harbor memorial. It was definitely a defining moment for both nations.

84superchamp likes this.
  10. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

I agree. My wife and I went there two years ago when my son-in-law was stationed at Hickam AFB; I'll never forget the feeling of reverence...it was palpable. We also got to learn a lot about the history of Hickam as well.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Oahu is the least exciting Island to visit. But, because of Pearl Harbor, I recommend it for your first visit. It was a Ground zero in our history and you feel it when you are there. I visited a FDP member there. We played guitar. Went outside for a beer. And it hit me, Japanese fighter flew low over these neighborhoods, lining you for the runs over Pearl Harbor a mile or so away. Erie feeling.

pbmw likes this.
  12. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Tanakh you for the correction.

:banana

13. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

On the northern side of Ford Island in Pearl Harbor is also what's left of the USS Utah. I suspect most tourists don't get over to that area.

My uncle was on a submarine, the USS Plunger, just a few miles away from Oahu that day.

He was the radio operator on duty when the notice came saying "Attack on Pearl Harbor, no drill."

Apparently if they had been about 1 mile closer to the island he and the rest of the crew would have been considered officially "Pearl Harbor" veterans, but it was not to be. At least he survived the war and was able to complain about until he passed away a few years ago.

He joined the Navy at 17 in the late 1930s. My grandfather had to sign for him since he was under 18.

:munch

14. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I just watched the movie The Final Countdown the other day. It has Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, Charles Durning and others. It's about the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier going back in time to December 6th 1941.

Fun movie. I'm a sucker for time travel and World War II movies. When you combine the two I can barely control myself. It's on Amazon Prime.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I think I read somewhere that the Pearl Harbor attack has one the best photographic records of any single "battle" in WWII (probably in book I had called Pearl Habor: A photographic history or something). The lessons of that tragedy need to be kept in focus but I fear time is fading the pages of those lessons.

An unusual and not well known tale following the attack:
    http://www.historynet.com/the-niihau-incident.htm

Bob Pollock and roadfilm like this.
  16. Okra

Okra Member

Just big boned.

17. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I remember my paternal Grandfather saying one of his biggest regrets in life was that he was not able to enlist in the military because he failed the physical. He and his friends when down the day after the attack on Pearl. He did what he could here in the states with Civil Defense, but always felt it wasn't enough.

My maternal Grandfather served in the Pacific and was saw action, including at Okinawa. He didn't speak about it too much. I do remember he bought me one of the coolest toys of my childhood -- an army battleground set. He got out the pieces and explained things, like mortars, bazookas, half tracks, tanks, machine guns vs rifles, bunkers, etc. To a young boy that was awesome.

[​IMG]

DFB1, ned7flat5 and Scott941 like this.
  18. cadduc

cadduc Member

I have a Japanese associate, he was born at the start of the war. When I visited him and his co-workers and his customers in Japan, they all talked about visiting Pearl Harbor. They embraced the sneak attack, felt it was justified, and thought it a victory.

I was struck by two things, the attitude that they were not responsible for the war, AND, the US should not have used atomic weapons on Japan.
    They denied the Nanking slaughter, the Bataan Death March, comfort women, and the widespread historic torture of their neighbors.

Orm-D and BADHAK like this.
  19. cadduc

cadduc Member

My dad had a great wwII service at the start.

When they found out he could speak Spanish fluently, they figured he was a perfect candidate to work as a translator, in ITALIAN.

So they sent him to school, in Wisconsin, Michigan, and then LSU. He was stationed in Biloxi, at the POW camp. The Italian POW's were docile. They hated the ARMY POW food. The POW's convinced the PIC to allow them to cook. Which they did. They cooked for themselves at first. But soon the POW's were cooking for everyone. They were a happy group.

Then things changed, he was shipped to Okinawa, staged to invade Japan. Then the war ended.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  20. Okra

Okra Member

I am not trying to be offensive or disrespectful, but, in spite of the sacrifice made that day, Pearl Harbor may have been one of the greatest events towards the success of the US in the 20th century.

Where would we be had our obsolete fleet not been destroyed or if we had continued to dither while conflict ravaged Europe and Asia? Not to mention that Japan is now one of our closest, most dependable allies and trading partners.

Bob Pollock and chrismac99 like this.