Pearl Jam Corderoy: The last rock song that appeals to the masses (before rock died)

I coulda sworn some band called Pearl Jam just had a #1 record almost exactly a year ago... not to mention Arcade Fire, Bruce Springsteen, The Black Keys, Coldplay, Jack White, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Maroon 5, and Slipknot in the time since.

TGP Cultural Awareness Fail #3425.

You won the thread. :)

badhorsie551

A song that was never released as a commercial single and only peaked at 22 on mainstream rock tracks and number 13 on modern rock tracks?

Vitalogy sold in excess of 5 million copies but there are many rock albums which outsold this album not only that year but in the years after as well.

I coulda sworn some band called Pearl Jam just had a #1 record almost exactly a year ago... not to mention Arcade Fire, Bruce Springsteen, The Black Keys, Coldplay, Jack White, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Maroon 5, and Slipknot in the time since.

#1 record today means nothing, since no one buys records anymore.

None of these acts are commercially relevant.
And legacy acts don't count as rock being alive.

Bieling3

I sure would love to be "dead" and making these figures:

They Made How Much??? Top Grossing Music Tours Of 2014

Arcade Fire, 65th, $6 million
Kings of Leon, 22nd, $14.3 million
Dave Matthews Band, 16th, $17.3 million
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, 8th, $20.7 million

Not to mention some of the folks on this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours#2010s

I can't imagine what your definition of commercially relevant is. I don't even think that's a metric to be judging things by anyways. Were the Velvet Underground commercially relevant? The Ramones?

Right now rock is doing more than okay. Aerosmith and Slash, Soundgarden and NIN, Rush, Beck, Rolling Stones, Robert Plant, Damon Albarn, Black Sabbath, all on tour, not to mention Red Fang, Mastodon, The Sword, Torche, Fuzz, The Oh Sees, Tame Impala, Temples, Kylesa, Electric Citizen, on and on... has it ever been better?!

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member

Wait. What?! Coldplay and The Black Keys aren't commercially relevant? I have no words.

blood5150

"Rock" is dead when someone refers to Coldplay and Maroon 5 as "Rock".

TGP Cultural Awareness Fail #3426

2HBStrat

How many mainstream music listeners would even be able to identify the song as "Corduroy" if you played it for them?......

I don't recognize it by name, but, at #22 on the rock charts, certainly not a blockbuster by today's standards, by ANY standard.

#1 record today means nothing, since no one buys records anymore........

I'll bet Katy Perry, Meghan Traynor, Rihanna and Taylor Swift disagree with you. #1 would mean something to ME if I had a #1 song.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
"Rock" is dead when someone refers to Coldplay and Maroon 5 as "Rock".

TGP Cultural Awareness Fail #3426

Rock is a pretty broad genre. I don't see why Coldplay and Maroon 5 wouldn't be considered rock bands. Yes, they're on pop end of the spectrum, but all the elements of rock are still there.

Bieling3

Must suck to live in a world that doesn't rock. There is plenty out there to be excited about right now. All saying rock is dead means is you're officially too old to enjoy what's there.

blood5150

Rock is a pretty broad genre. I don't see why Coldplay and Maroon 5 wouldn't be considered rock bands. Yes, they're on pop end of the spectrum, but all the elements of rock are still there.

While I can appreciate the musicianship in groups like Coldplay/Maroon 5, I also can see their links to a band like Duran Duran. (whom I consider to also be great musicians)

With that said, I never considered Duran Duran to be "rock"

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
While I can appreciate the musicianship in groups like Coldplay/Maroon 5, I also can see their links to a band like Duran Duran. (whom I consider to also be great musicians)

With that said, I never considered Duran Duran to be "rock"

Well, what is the delineating line that determines whether something is rock or not? The use of synthesizers?

Historically, the definition of rock and roll was very broad. Roughly, it was music with an emphasized backbeat, most often carried by the snare drum.

Also, did you know that ABBA and The Bee Gees are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? :dude

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Great, as in appealing to both genders, not just the ugly ones pretending to like rock to gain attention of males.

...and with ironically singable melancholy, albeit, self-affirming lyrics that truly defined the otherwise happy-go-lucky grunge era....

The last full blown palm muted crunch that ever hit mainstream (and attractive cheerleader female) minds...

Weird.

2HBStrat

........All saying rock is dead means is you're officially too old to WANT TO enjoy what's there.

Fixed!

......Historically, the definition of rock and roll was very broad...... did you know that ABBA and The Bee Gees are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? :dude

Yes, one look at the memberhip list would make one realize that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is very inclusive....

https://rockhall.com/inductees/

Trending Topics

Top Bottom