Pearloid headstock overlay on Collings?

52ftbuddha

I know, I know this is a decision I should be making. That said what do you all think of the 290's with the pearloid headstock overlay. Would you buy one? I am on the fence.

rob

Jim Soloway

In a heartbeat. The 290 with the doghair finish and the perloid peghead is one of my favorite guitars in recent years both in looks and sound. I drop by their booth at NAMM every year just to play one. Wonderful guitars.

Eric Pykala

Different strokes. I was playing a friends' Collings a week ago, and between the doghair finish and the pearloid headstock I thought it looked outstanding. The guitar was amazing too.

Ruraltom

IMO, it looks pretty cheesy, but I'm not a pearloid guy AT ALL. My 290 is TV Yellow w/ ebony veneer and think it looks great that way....

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
If it doesn't scream out to your sense of style, pass.
It's not a hard decision. Something like that you need to seriously think is the icing on the cake, or you'll just regret getting it later.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

amc

get the pearloid headstock overlay with the doghair finish if you are getting a collings 290...................

empty71

Ebony or wood headstock veneer for me as well!!! I would hate to see the pearloid veneer come off after some time due to glue failure.

XKnight

If I'm buying a used guitar and it plays well. the headstock overlay isn't going to be a factor for me. If it's a new custom order then it would depend on the body finish.

Trending Topics