1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pearly Gates Pickups.....meh

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by utahgimme2, May 16, 2011.

1. utahgimme2

utahgimme2 Supporting Member

I recently put a SD Pearly Gates bridge pickup in my '88 LP and a SD '59 in the neck. Got to say that I am not really digging the Pearly Gates. It is really bright and kind of "tinny" sounding for my tastes. Love the '59!

Anyone else use Pearly Gates bridge pups for a LP? What's your experience?

Also, any other pup recommendations would totally be appreciated. I am going for a classic rock/jam sound - i.e. Allman Brothers/70's Grateful Dead type sound.

2. D.Cooper

D.Cooper Member

I find they are great for light/med OD rock tones but kind of fail in the clean department.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Check out WCR's Fillmore for the stuff you're describing.

4. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

The other way around is better, Pearly Gates neck/'59 bridge, the PG is a bit brash in the bridge position, you can tame it by swapping caps around.

For what you want the WCR Fillmore or Darkburst is an excellent choice, I like the Godwoods too.

The Pearly Gates in the neck is great for Gov't Mule overdriven tone.

5. utahgimme2

utahgimme2 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input so far!

The WRC's might be what I need.

Question....can I just swap the positions of my existing pups (Put PG in the neck and 59 in the bridge) or do I need to buy the PG neck/59 bridge?

6. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Some say the poles won't line up but it ain't far off..

Some pros have done this....

I have had my pups as far as 1/2 inch away from the strings and still got good signal(hard to overdive tho!). It was not on purpose, the GFS Nashville mounting hdw is too short. I used the Gretsch hdw and it is fine now. I say this to emphasize I doubt if you will hear any "probs" with the different pole spacing. Just a guess tho, I have not tried to do this. When I rebuild this Aria LP (natural with maple neck, black blocks!) I have sitting around, I may just do it for a bit to see the diff.

7. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Never tried one in an LP, but I looove Pearly Gates in a Strat! Bite city in the bridge position.

8. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Measure the distance between the outer pole pieces (1st string pole piece to 6th string pole piece) from center to center on each pickup, if the same distance then you can swap them, if not like CharlyG said, they won't be far off and you can get an idea of what it would sound like.

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Pearly Gates neck = BLISS!

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Yep. Do you have yours set up to split when you use the bridge / middle position?

11. paulscape

paulscape Member

Man I would have put the '59 in the bridge and the pearly gates in the neck. Seth lovers good and WCR crossroads neck, darkburst bridge also a good combo.

12. TB72

TB72 Member

I enjoy Duncan's Custom Custom for Allman-esque tones (I find it does 70's ZZ Top better than the Pearly Gates as well...The PG kinda sounds more 80's.) The Custom Custom also pairs pretty well with the 59.

Later...

13. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

This is my opinion as well. Love the PG in the neck position, not so much in the bridge.

14. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Put that PG in the neck!!!! You will be very happy. Try swapping them and see what you think. Im not sure about the 59 in the bridge. You may want to get a Custom Custom for the bridge and maybe find another guitar to put that 59 in. The Custom Custom/Pearly Gates combo is one of the better sets you can put together with SD pickups.

15. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ I don't but that sounds like a really good idea!

16. SFW

SFW Member

I have found the Pearly Gates to have plenty of growl if you set it up right. Don't be afraid to adjust the eq on your amp. I ran a PG bridge and 59 neck for years.

17. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

A custom Custom will be very different, though ... more modern, less vintage character. The '59 neck is total PAF, ratty, has strong highs but nice bass to even it out. If you like that, I'd say a 36th Anny for the bridge might be a good match, although I never had mine in the same guitar.

18. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

i actually use a bridge PG in the neck and it sounds great there. never gets muddy.

19. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

I put a PG bridge in my studio a few months back and it's coming out today. I find the treble strings very thin and bright. I've adjusted it but am pulling it for some Gibson '57 classics that showed up at my door.

20. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I think it's all about matching pickups up really...in the right context, it's a great pickup, but paired with a really warm and strong neck pkp, not so much.

I use a PG bridge coupled with an Eric Johnson neck HB, which is a really good clear 'low wind' (if you want to call it that) HB, that pairing is really a great combination. The guitar also has active electronics (EMG) so I can pump up the mids with the SPC control and whola!, have that LP sound if I want it. I also have an OOP switch hooked up, and with that engaged, the damn thing may as well be a Telecaster in the middle position at that point.

The body wood is Spanish Cedar, which is a pretty warm overall wood, which compliments the clear tones of these HB's. The entire combination is a really nice match and makes the guitar have an individual voice, not like a typical LP.

So in the right context with the right complimentary features surrounding it, it's a great pickup, but I can understand why in the wrong setting it wouldn't match up too well.

Last edited: May 17, 2011