Peavey 5150 Combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Whiplash523, May 18, 2015.

1. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

Hello everybody, i have decided to buy a peavey 5150 2x12 combo. Unfortunately i couldn't test it in person, so my only question is, did i make the right decision ? I play punk like green day and nirvana, and metal like metallica and amon amarth and i guess you could say some "core" type stuff, and well, basically I'm looking for a tight chunky apocalyptic sounding amp, and I'm pretty much just asking if this amp will deliver what I'm looking for.
    Cheers ! \\m//

2. scott944

scott944 Member

I think you'll like the sound ... and hate the weight!

BrentSP, BeardoCI and Whiplash523 like this.
  3. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

i saw that it weighs 84lbs ! jeez! haha

4. theroan

theroan Member

Are you in a band?

Whiplash523 likes this.
  5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

yup, the 5150 should work just fine for that stuff. Enjoy!

Whiplash523 likes this.
  6. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I had one of those many years ago. It was a solid, loud, mean amp. Lots of fun. It weighs a ton!!

Whiplash523 likes this.
  7. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

yes sir ! \\m// Letterbomb !

8. theroan

theroan Member

Then ya, the combo is good. I was going to suggest the new mini head. But if you're gigging the combo is great.

Whiplash523 likes this.
  9. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

great buy. I prefer the combos to the heads. it has a mid range snarl that you just can't get with the heads.
    like previously mentioned MY GOD they are heavy haha

Whiplash523 likes this.
  10. Razor

Razor Silver Supporting Member

I owned one years ago and have always regretted selling it.

Whiplash523 likes this.
  11. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Me too. I loved the amp but it was soooo heavy. I took it to Sam Ash to trade it toward 5150 II head. They of course wanted to give some crappy amount for a trade in, but some guy in the store heard them check out my amp and he and I did a parking lot deal for hundreds more than the store offered me. I bought that 5150 II head but it was a terrible, honky mess that I soon sold.

If I found an original 5150 combo locally, I'd snag it right away!!

Whiplash523 likes this.
  12. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

I had one, it didn't sound good at home volumes. They sound great if you can get them loud though. I'd say go for it unless you only play at home.

Whiplash523 likes this.
  13. Brad737

Brad737 Member

Congrats on the new amp. The Peavey 5150s are uber cool. But lots of folks still seem to think they'll sound like the 1st Van Halen album. They're not even close. However, when you consider that they're basically a low-cost Soldano copy, then you can make some progress.

If I may make a couple recommendations, first thing to consider is a speaker swap. The stock Sheffields are mediocre at best. I can heartily recommend the G12H-30 and Vintage 30, and I liked 2 G12H-30s almost as much. Several folks love two Vintage 30s, but I've never tried that, so I can't give my recommendation without trying it.

The next thing I always like to recommend is a tube swap. The combo has a much better clean tone than the Peavey head, but there's still room for improvement. I've replaced V1 and V2 in my Peavey head and combo with GE 5751s. (This is an old SRV trick.). They produce 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, and they really reduce the fizz and mush, especially on the lead channel. FWIW, I've tried 12AT7, 12AY7, and 12AU7. I like the tone of the 5751s much better. Don't worry. There's still more than enough gain to melt faces at 50 paces.

Good luck!

Whiplash523 likes this.
  14. diaz

diaz Member

The 5150 combo is the best peavey amp I have played. As a metal player, I ended up liking the crunch setting quite a bit. If you downtune, you will probably prefer the crunch/rhythm channel.

Excellent high gain amp, you will not regret it! The only thing some people don't like is the fact that there is a shared EQ between both channels, and the clean you can dial is not as clean and sparkly as some people would like it.

Whiplash523 likes this.
  15. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

thanks for the advice and replies everybody ! \\m//

16. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

[​IMG]

"Hello, FBI ?..."
    I've heard clips someone posted on another forum of their 5150 combo and they were 90-95% there VH, early brown sound. He plugged his combo speaker out to 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks and had the gain dialed way back.

Whiplash523 likes this.
  17. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

+1 on the speaker swap...sounds a lot better that way (never owned one myself but had a friend)

18. Whiplash523

Whiplash523 Member

Thanks everybody ! This amp is a ****in beast ! Right about the weight though....damn XD