Peavey 6505+ combo 1x12 or Peavey Vyper Pro 100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitarmanjac, May 4, 2016.

1. Guitarmanjac

Guitarmanjac Member

I am considering both these amps, one all tube and one digital. Both Peaveys. The 6505+ 1x12 combo or the Vypyr Pro 100. Any opinions on these amps? They will be used at bedroom levels but also sometimes when I play along with a drummer as well. Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

2. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

I had both the 6505 112 and Vyp75 for a short time.
    At low to moderate volumes they sounded very similar. IMHO, the Vyp is better suited for this type of playing.

Once pushed to practice/gig volumes the 6505 took the lead. It was fuller sounding and just all around more pleasing to the ear.
    I ended up keeping the Vyp due to my playing needs but if i was gigging would have gone with the 6505.

As to the Pro 100, I only had that for a few weeks before returning it. The models sound the same as the original Vyp series you just have more effects and parameters to play with. I never pushed it very loud but I'm sure volume wise you'll be fine. As to how it sounds when pushed against the 6505, I can only assume the 6505 would start to pull ahead but again that's just a guess.

3. Guitarmanjac

Guitarmanjac Member

Thanks for your opinions. Why did you return the Vypyr pro 100?

4. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

I also have a 5150 III 112 combo and side by side even at low volumes I preferred the tone of the 5150.
    Plus I won't use the majority of the features of the Vyp, I never did on my other ones either.
    I tend to get a bit OCD if there are too many options in front of me. :confused: I end up spending more time tweaking.
    For me the 5150 is set and forget. Same with the 6505.