Peavey 6505 mini vs 5150III lunchbox

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarspaz, Apr 23, 2016.

1. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

I have a couple of 212 cabs sitting around not being used. Sell the cabs? :nono Hell no. Buy more amps. I have clean and classic marshall covered in spades with a Roland JC40, a Fargen miniplex combo, and a Friedman Smallbox. I don't have really high gainers. Was looking at the two small heads in the title. I know which way I'm leaning but I am unable buy a pick without asking a forum for their opinion. Metallica is about as heavy a music as I ever play so keep that in mind.

2. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I think there's compromises with either one. The EVH doesn't have a clean channel. The 6505 is pretty dark, I really cranked the presence to get it to acceptable levels. I preferred the heavier tones from the EVH, it's tighter, clearer, and feels more powerful. The 6505 is more versatile, and $200 cheaper. You should be able to find both at a store, I'd try them before buying.

3. otter5555

otter5555 Member

i own both

the 6505 mh should not even be mentioned in the same sentence :)

seriously,

if you play mostly high gain and older 80's tones the lbx is the clear leader
    if you play any clean stuff at all, the 6505 mh is the way to go

you can get useable gain sounds out of the 6505mh but they are, imho, clearly inferior to the lbx

with that said, i much prefer the tones of my lbx to my 5150 III 50 watter also

4. mbugbee

mbugbee Member

I own both as well. The 6505mh is a ton of fun but for best overall tone the 5150 lbx is just awesome.

5. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Different cab or get your hearing tested

6. Alnico&El34Rocks

Alnico&El34Rocks Member

I like the 6505mh a lot. Gig wise ive used it through my jet city verical 2x12 with great success. The crunch channel is darker then the lead channel which is a little annoying at times but after all its shared 3 band eq. I've been able to work around it a little with guitar tone pot and just ignoring it as still overall the tone sounded great.

For solo boost i've been using the footswitcable effects loop with some passive jhs volume micro pedal in it. So bypassing effects loop is guitar solo level and on its rhythm level. No power supply or bateries needed and set up is a breeze and i leave it velcroed on top of the head plugged in effects loop at all times.

7. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

That's helpful. It was an EVH 2x12, and I stand by my comments.

8. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

I was leaning towards the 5150. Hard to imagine an amp built for the price point of the 6505 crammed full of as many features as it is not having some issues. I tried a 5150 in the store for a few minutes. Didn't have a lot of time with it but I thought it was really a lot of fun. Usually i don't like amps with EL84's but I think they got this one right.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Mess mini recto?

10. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

I'm sure there's an ENT in your community. cheers.

11. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I haven't played the 5150, but I did just get the 6505 MH about a week ago. The Rhythm channel is very flexible, and can go from pretty damn clean to early hair metal tones. I was very surprised at the range.

Lead is a bit trickier to dial in (kind of like how a Mesa takes a while to get used to), but I did find a few different ranges that I'm quite happy with.

I think the real standout on the 6505 is that it can be dialed in to sound very good at low volumes. I suspect Peavey designed it with this in mind. At this stage in my life, low volume is pretty much my only option most of the time, and for getting really heavy tones at apartment-living levels, this amp is perfect. The Presence and Resonance controls are the key to the low-volume great tone. Crank up the Resonance to add back bass that is lost when the volume is turned down.

I suspect the 5150 is a better quality amp and probably has a better overall heavy tone. But for the right situation (like mine), the 6505 is the better choice.

12. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Maybe muddy is the term I'm looking for. Yes, it's muddy as hell without cranking the presence. I'm sorry I don't like your amp. No reason for you to throw out insults.

13. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Not my amp I don't take gear personally no insults thrown being a bit cheeky sure but at the same time...

14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Kind of sounds like you own one.. Or maybe you're a staunch defender of all things Peavey.. They're quite expensive where you come from, budget amps over here.

15. 8len8

8len8 Member

Sad...