Peavey 6505+- MSDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pieman8pie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Hey guys,

I just got a Peavey 6505+ combo, and am wondering what the Microphone Simulated Direct Interface is used for?

Also, I hear a lot of people ditch the Sheffield and get a Celestion Vintage 30, is there that much of a difference in sound?

Cheers,
    Jonathan

2. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

Send signal to the PA or recording interface with a microphone simulated out.

3. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

What's the benefit in doing this?

Sorry, a bit of a newbie with all this fancy tech.

Thanks!

4. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The benefit is that if you play somewhere you don't have to mic the cab. Just go directly to the PA. They do this in their JSX cabs too.

5. fitterhappier

fitterhappier Member

Also comes in handy for recording @ home - the MSDI is actually pretty decent as far as simulated outputs go.

Regarding Sheffield vs. V30 - BIG difference in sound. The V30 will be a tighter sounding speaker with a noticeable increase in upper mids. Are you playing at home or gigging with it? V30 would definitely cut more in a live mix - it will also give you a more aggressive sound for playing metal. The Sheffield, while not necessarily a bad speaker will sound muffled and muddy when compared directly to something like a V30.

Hope that helps!

6. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

^^Thanks man!

I use it for both home use and for gigging at the moment, until I get the cash to invest in some separate cabs and heads.

I heard mixed things about changing speakers (and tubes, actually.) Some say do it, some say don't because the amp manufacturer based the design off of how they made it. Is there any truth behind this? I was also thinking about getting some EL34's to replace the 6L6's, but I became hesitant when I heard that whole sha-bang about amp design.

7. Damian The Man

Damian The Man Member

If you want a classic rock sound stay with the Sheffield - amp was designed around them at Eddie request. Personally I find the combos work better with Sheffields. The V30 will take you to the extreme metal type of sound with that amp.

Don't put EL34 in it, 6l6 are its own breath!

8. pieman8pie

pieman8pie Member

Thanks, Damian. I don't know too much about speakers, so I don't really know what to compare different models to, or what is best for what.