Peavey Bandit 112 - It's nice to know

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by david(j), May 29, 2015.

1. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

that if i ever need to sell everything and completely scale back, an old silver stripe transtube bandit can do most anything i'd need.

i played one earlier today for nostalgia's sake, and it sounded really good. nothing crazy blow your hair back inspirational, but just really good. also, it was $139. if i had ANY need for something else, i would have just bought it. i thought about it anyway. i also thought about getting it and selling another amp to put some extra coin in my pocket. i'm still thinking this.

all i could think of doing was maybe a speaker swap. that's it.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    JackStraw12 and cj_wattage like this.
  2. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I have a teal stripe Bandit 112 with a Force 12 speaker i keep under a blanket just in case. If it ever comes down to it I know that it'll give up the goods loud and proud!

3. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Yep I have a Silver Stripe as well. Tried an Eminence Wizard and it sounded marginally better than the Sheffield (but the Wiz was 16 ohms and the amp wants 8). Put the Shef in again.

I recently spoke to one of the guys at Peavey and he said the SS Bandit is the "holy grail" of Bandits because it has one of the best eq sections of them all.

I love mine when I get to crank it. Clean channel is perfect for blues, perfect for classic rock with a good OD in front and the drive channel is all 80's to my ears.

One great thing about the SS version is the power amp input. Different than the FX return in that it pushes a higher power amp signal. It's great with my little Digitech RP unit when I'm doing the modeling thing.

Really great amps.

4. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I've got an old teal stripe 112 that I replaced the LED on, and otherwise it has worked flawlessly for years. While not the most amazing amp in the world, it always works and sounds good enogh for any small show or practice if I press it into those roles as a pedal platform.

5. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I had the "Scorpion Equipped" teal version back in like 1992. Love the gain channel on that thing.

6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've got a Red Stripe Bandit. Sheffield speaker. I think the same thing, if my Marshall exploded, I could cover everything with the Bandit. was a steal at 149 bucks

7. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I think I have the Sheffield/Red Stripe Bandit. Made in USA - right now it's a "friends that play bass" amp but it sounds really good whenever I'm just feeling like playing for 10 minutes or so. However I have to curb the ideas of selling all my tube gear - really a nice-sounding amp. My parents bought it for me when I was 15 or so, so easily at least 12 years old.

8. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

I have 2 red stripes in a stereo configuration with a Boss GT10 for delay, reverb and modulation effects going into the clean channels, and using a Carl Martin Plexitone, Wampler Pinnacle, and Wampler Super Plextortion for drive (each set differently for a specific sound).

I did replace the harsh/shrill Sheffield's with Eminence Legend V128's which are much smoother without the high mid and treble spike, and this setup sounds awesome to me! Nails the tones and dynamics of everything from AC/DC to VH brown sound to 80's hair metal, along with sparkling chimey cleans. Sometimes I wish I had a full stack just because it looks cooler, but as far as tone, I have no real need for anything else.

Cheers
    TRJB

david(j) likes this.
  9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Peavey Bandits! The sounds of traditional bar bands before the Internet.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Could someone in the know explain the differences, if any, between the various striped models? Would be nice to know in case of an encounter.

Gb

11. pepi

pepi Member

Used a Peavey Special 130 with Scorpion speaker for years. Peal platform

12. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I think that my red-stripe Rage 158 is essentially a mini-Bandit and it's the only amp that I have been completely satisfied with. I did put a 10" speaker in it. It fits, but you have to take the chassis out in the process of installing it.

13. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I have a Red Stripe USA Bandit also. Converted mine to a head and run it through either a 2x12 or 4x12. Really sounds amazing for so many different tones and styles of play. I still love my tube amps but the Bandit can definitely hold it's own and in many cases sounds much better than many high priced tube amps I have owned and tried. It's just a workhorse and IMO probably one of the best SS amp ever made.

dcooper830 likes this.