1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Peavey Bandit On Da Way !!! (Needed a Cheap SS Grab n' Go )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baminated, May 18, 2011.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

Decided to keep all of my good stuff at home and use the Bandit for most of my gig whore/cover band stuff. Savin' the tubes for recording or very special live original or higher profile gigs plus I am saving my good amps from roadrash.

Was using at any given time, one of the following heads (all of which I still own !) Dual Showman , Metroamps Superbass, a Magic Dust Duo, Krank Chadwick (modded to EL34), Music Man RD100.

Lately it's been a quasi "rack" setup w/ an SS power amp , 3 channel 12AX7 preamp plus the Nova system, but I have decided to further simplify the setup to the Bandit w/just the Nova system in the loop.

2. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

Cool! Let us know what you think of it after you have had a chance to practice or gig with it!

3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

4. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

A Bandit is a perfectly good sounding amp for what you'll be using it for. In fact, the transtube models sound pretty darn good for whatever you need them to do. Cheap, well made, reliable..what's not to like for a bread and butter amp?

5. Baminated

Baminated Member

It's on the way, but it's one of the brand new models, not as picworthy as one of the pre-transtube 80's/90's, IMO.

6. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Ah, that's what I used to have so long ago. Was hoping to see if it was the same.

7. Baminated

Baminated Member

Yeah, nothing to really write home about, just picking up a workhorse

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

great amps for the $$$.....i aam also very fond of the Special 130 combo.

lots of those 80s era Peaveys can be picked up for $75-$100.....and are VERY capable of gigging.

i use a Randall RG-35 amp, 1x12 solid state combo, got it in pawn shop for $99, and i have done hundreds of gigs with it, at places i would rather NOT bring a more valuable amp!

9. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

The Peavey Bandit will be a great amp for Mustang Sally.

10. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

What amp doesn't look good with Mustang Sally???

That song looks better than it sounds - nobody wants to play it - it's the dance version of Stairway to Heaven.

However, after they talk you into it, check out all the women shaking that booty over and over and over. Give them what they want and play it for 20 minutes!

Last Saturday, my new jam band played Hands to Yourself (by request and never before or even thought of it) for a 1/2 hour because all the drunk "babes" wanted to move. It was classy for sure. Chicks were hunchin and the harder I'd pluck a lead the harder they'd grind on eachother - my dad would've been so proud!

Sorry for the derailment - I used a Peavey Bandit 65 growing up in the 80's and loved it.

11. Dave

Dave Member

I played a gig recently with my Bandit. Sounded pretty good. It's an old one, 100 watts I believe. I put an EV Force 12 in it. Great pedal platform and loud as hell.

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

step 1 -- clean the electronics, put it in new vintage looking cab with tweed front.

step 2 - procure some cool boutique AMP logo, but with a small change -- like "Crumble"

step 3 - gig with it and do demos of your new amp

step 4 - start taking orders ;):omg:bonk;)

13. stuco

stuco Member

I've owned a bunch of bandits, the clean channel is great. Loud, cheap, good tone, and HEAVY. Maybe the new ones are a little lighter, I don't know.

14. Baminated

Baminated Member

TAG would know the difference, he knows tone. That is why I value his opinion

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I had a Bandit 112 for a while back in the mid 80's.It was the amp I took to jams.Didn't care if it got beat up.
    Some good tones can be had with clean and low od settings.
    Pedals for the rest.
    Never played the newer ones though.

16. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I remember getting a Bandit 112 that had that little Scorpion equipped tag on the front of it back in like 93 or so and I thought the reverb sounded so freaking good.

17. Baminated

Baminated Member

Exactly - that is exactly why I am getting the Bandit. I've been invited to a few jams where there is no guitarist, and find this to be the easiest to set up or for gigs where I am there mainly as a utility player & no one is listening

18. Baminated

Baminated Member

Yup, really nice amp FOR WHAT IT IS @ that price point. The OD is def "Peavey-ish" but not in a dreadful way. It's just that I've been playing the Magic Dust cranked at rehearsal and then playing through the Bandit at home, so it is tough to mentally adjust to the OD, but it is fine.

Gonna try my menatone wreck't, Real Tube, WF RAT, and chicken soup OD pedals and see where that takes me.

19. Evens

Evens Member

Saw a dude gig with Gibson firebird -> Box of rock - > Bandit 112. and he got super good tones. so I cleaned the scratchy pots on mine, just to get it to work properly. and while it's obviously not as good as my fuchs ODS, I could actually gig with it. great amp, and although I'd probably only use the clean, the OD channel is much better than I remember!