Peavey buying Gibson

Jack Daniels

Here is the quote from that link:

PEAVEY TO BUY OUT GIBSON?

At rec.music.makers.guitar this week there was talk of Peavey buying out Gibson! Posts included:
"Today I was talking to a local retailer who had recently been to a private dinner / presentation put on by Peavey. Peavey is a company that is making a LOT of bold changes right now. One of the most startling piece of information that came out of the whole deal, was that Peavey is currently looking at buying GIBSON!"
"Peavey is a privately held company with HUGE profit margins. They do have enough money to buy... er... bail Gibson out. Rumor has it that Gibson has failed to be profitable in quite a while. All this at a time when they're trying to go public. They're ripe for the kill. Gibson has successfully ruined great guitar lines like Tobias and Steinberger, etc. It's about time someone else take over and turn the company around"
Comments posted by "Cleavis" guitarzan@geocities.com
We have requested comments from both Peavey and Gibson but so far we have not had a response from either company - If you have any information on this please let us know by emailing GuitarNewsWeekly-Edititor@hitsquad.com.

Fuchsaudio

Peavey is a large company, likely with deep pockets, and I'm sure they look at lots of companies as potential targets for acquisition. It's easy to say Fuchs is looking at buying Boogie, just as casually..

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Peavey is a large company, likely with deep pockets, and I'm sure they look at lots of companies as potential targets for acquisition. It's easy to say Fuchs is looking at buying Boogie, just as casually..
That would be one way to get around Randall patenting everything under the sun. (even if he didn't invent it. LOL)

Gibson should buy DiMarzio so they could call their own pickups PAF's. (same reasoning as the Mesa thing...)

sleek

...just so long as we get a Gibson built Peavey T-60 out of the deal!

Seriously, though...if he did a "Peavey makeover" on Gibson, perhaps we would see a golden era of unbreakable Gibson gear that would be an *excellent* value for the money with great quality control...that would never, ever die, even if you left it outside for a year (I rehabbed just such a Peavey P.A. head that literally had bugs living in it...all I did was clean it up and plug it in~and it's STILL working after 5 years!)

...mind you, I am a Peavey fan. I am a damned happy owner of a first-gen 5150 and L.A. 400 (great, great pedal steel amp) among other things.

I have had more great Peavey gear than Gibson...though I think Gibson's down-market stuff IS getting steadily better. (20 years ago a bottom of the line Gibson was likely to terrible, now it's usually pretty good).

...which is to say that, even though Peavey hasn't come up with anything guitar-wise as iconic as a Les Paul, EVERY Peavey guitar you pick up is made as good as it can be. For instance, the T-60 was an eyesore, but it played great, sounded great, had innovative features and had great quality control~to me, that's Peavey.

...not so much with Gibby.

Discuss?

Rock Johnson

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding any of this.

Gibson in financial trouble???
How is that possible, besides USA Gibsons, Epiphone Les pauls are the biggest selling guitars in the world, and Gibson have them made in Chinese slave labour factory's for next to nothing.
Gibson USA cant produce enough guitars to supply the demand for the US made Gibsons, and they're way overpriced which means good profit, and even with their flaws they sell like hotcakes.

The other thing that confuses me.
Peavey a bigger company than Gibson???
How is that possible...I would have thought Gibson could buy out Peavey with their spare change?
Actually, Yamaha is the biggest instrument maker in the world, with Samick the biggest guitar maker.

You can read back to the day Henry J took over Gibson. He doubled the price on some models, with NO other changes. He aimed from day one to turn Gibson into a snob-appeal "lifestyle" company, and he's done it.

Hartley.............. has done a LOT to keep everything he makes and sells here in the US.

I respectfully beg to differ.

I open up my Classic 50 and find all sorts of Chinese parts in there, and the new Bandits, etc. are now being made in Red China.

If you look at the actual output of the facilities in Lauderdale County, it is small and getting smaller every day.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Most of those components are not availble from US or even UK production any longer, and there's simply no substitute.

Would you pay 1800 bucks for a Peavey classic 50 head?

900+ for a 25 watt solid state?

It's a world economy he's had to participate in to stay competitive.

And just because it's made overseas, doesn't mean it's crap. they're building for the price point they're given.

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding any of this.

Gibson in financial trouble???
How is that possible, besides USA Gibsons, Epiphone Les pauls are the biggest selling guitars in the world, and Gibson have them made in Chinese slave labour factory's for next to nothing.
Gibson USA cant produce enough guitars to supply the demand for the US made Gibsons, and they're way overpriced which means good profit, and even with their flaws they sell like hotcakes.

The other thing that confuses me.
Peavey a bigger company than Gibson???
How is that possible...I would have thought Gibson could buy out Peavey with their spare change?
Actually it's the other way around. Hartley Peavey could write a check to purchase Gibson easily....he would barely even feel it.

Hartley has no debt to speak of....he always operated in the "black".

sleek

True, I forgot about the Wolfgang.
Actually, every Peavey guitar I have ever played was schweet...but they're all just so icky looking!

Seriously, there are a lot of "sleepers" in the Peavey line, from the T20/40/60's that the hipsters are starting to discover to things like the Vandenbergs that the shredders love...

I mean, check out the harmony central reviews (which I know are not perfect)...the relatively unloved T60 has a 9.5 out of 10 total rating out of 90+ reviews, whereas a gibson Les Paul Studio faded (I couldn't find a Gibby in the same price range as the T60), only gets an 8...even the full-on Les Paul Custom rates slightly lower than the T60!

The Peavey Vandenberg rates even higher, at 9.6 out of 10.

DavidE

I recently sold this Peavey Limited HB on Ebay. Nice guitar, but not quite on par with an Anderson. I only sold it because of the neck shape.

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
Some of the judgments made about the build quality of Peavey lack one important element: specifics. Granted, some of their models are just plain eyesores but that doesn't include everything and it doesn't make it poorly built. I had several Wolfgangs, some early models and one later model custom shop. Pretty amazing guitars build and tone wise.

Some of the production has gone to China, just like Bogner to name one. Peavey USA is still making some fine instruments and amps and Peavey has stayed in the USA longer than most manufacturers to begin with.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
...Peavey has stayed in the USA longer than most manufacturers to begin with.
Very true. Peavey also held out as long as they could from allowing their products to be sold online. I think they didn't want to hurt their loyal mom and pop dealers, but they finally gave in only a few years ago. Same goes for making their cheaper stuff in China. If I'm not mistaking, even their cheaper stuff was made in the USA until not all that long ago.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Exactly.
IMO, Peavey isn't in the same league as Gibson, and Peavey know less than nothing about making guitars.
Have you ever played an Omniac Tele? Every bit as good as almost any Tele I've ever played.

WurstBurst

Actually, every Peavey guitar I have ever played was schweet...but they're all just so icky looking!
They are icky looking because if you make a clone of a strat or a tele or a les paul, you are seen as a wannabe. If you clone the headstock you are sued. Not exactly the best environment for making great guitar designs.

If they owned Gibson, the problem goes away. They can use their knowledge of guitar making and operational know-how to make great Gibsons. Which won't look icky!

Trending Topics