• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

peavey classic 20, frying bacon sound?

kidmandude

Platinum Supporting Member
my friend has a peavey classic 20, and needed new power amp tubes, so I found a pair of NOS 7189's and he put them in and the amp still sounds scratchy or like bacon frying? Now I tested the 7189's in a lower watt Fender and they sounded awesome and alot better the the mesa EL84's that were in the Fender amp.

He thinks the tubes are still no good? But I know I heard them and they sounded awesome. So what elese could it be?

mark norwine

...and then questioning the statement
Not even sure what that means! But anyway....

If you change the orientation of the amp physically, and then the noise stops, then my mind changes gears.

Something mechanical is the issue. "Bad mechanical (electrical) connection in one position becomes good when the amp is re-oriented".

...and that makes me say "tube sockets" and crappy pin tension.

Hanging vertically, a tube (I strongly suspect power tube) is making poor connection, but when tipped, the weight of the tube is changing the tangential orientation of the socket-pin connection.

Mind you, I'm guessing here....

kidmandude

im sorry, I'm trying to state that my friend who owns the amp is telling me this info and I'm paraphrasing badly to boot!

Yes I agree that it might be a sloppy tube connection. I'll try spacing the pins out more to have them fit tighter in the tube sockets they do have spring retainers too. I know the tubes I gave him are NOS 7189's that test excellant, I popped them in a Fender Pro Jr and they sounded awesome way better then even the Mesa EL84's that were in there. Then I gave them to my friend who owns the Classic 20 and he said they sound the same as the Mesa EL84s that he also had in the Classic 20. Thats why I started questioning if it was even the tubes that were the problem. Thats when he comments on when he tilts the amp its gets quieter..

Ray

teefus

check all of the little molex connectors that attach the outboard components to the boards.

mark norwine

Yes. Any mechanically-made electrical connection is suspect.

Does the bacon sound occur with the amp "just sitting there, on, but no signal"? Or is it only when you play a note or smack a cord?

"just sitting there" makes me think "noisy component" [but tipping shouldn't change anything]

"only when playing" makes me think "mechanical connection".

kidmandude

Yes. Any mechanically-made electrical connection is suspect.

Does the bacon sound occur with the amp "just sitting there, on, but no signal"? Or is it only when you play a note or smack a cord?

"just sitting there" makes me think "noisy component" [but tipping shouldn't change anything]

"only when playing" makes me think "mechanical connection".
Mark,

Yes just sitting there its making the sound, almost in a wave sense like listening thru a sea shell. Although Its more of a Shhhhhhhhss then bacon frying..

Last edited:

Trending Topics