PEAVEY CLASSIC 20 MICROHEAD

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
anyone have opinions and first hand experience with this amp? On paper it seems to check the boxes for me but can't get my hands on one locally to Che k out in person.

guitarman3001

I have one and like it although I just bought a Friedman Runt 20 so I'll probably be putting the Peavey up for sale very soon. It's a vintage voiced amp and the shared EQ actually works very well. Both channels also sound great. I tend to dislike two-channel amps with shared EQs but this one is voiced very well across both channels. The variable wattage feature is great. The footswitchable volume boost is a huge plus. The only negative is the XLR DI output. It's voiced very dark but with a bit of tweaking at the mixer, it can be usable. Overall it's a very cool amp and especially for the price. Like I said, the only reason I'm even considering selling it is because I just ordered a Friedman. I may keep it around though. Not sure yet.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
If they'd put this in a 1x10 combo I'd get one. Had a Classic 50 2x12 way back in the day, great amp...

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing your experience...I'm a home player, mostly blues/classic rock but some harder stuff mixed in. The headphone jack is key as I have younger kids..have a Class 5 now that I like (much better tone after a tube change) but I want something with a different voice as well. Picked up a Blackstar HT5 for short money and while I like the headphone out and the AUX in I can get any decent tone (to my ear) out of it.

guitarman3001

Thanks for sharing your experience...I'm a home player, mostly blues/classic rock but some harder stuff mixed in. The headphone jack is key as I have younger kids..have a Class 5 now that I like (much better tone after a tube change) but I want something with a different voice as well. Picked up a Blackstar HT5 for short money and while I like the headphone out and the AUX in I can get any decent tone (to my ear) out of it.

I also have a Blackstar HT5. It's the newer version with reverb. The Classic 20 is definitely better for blues and classic rock. Much warmer clean channel and more vintage voiced dirt channel.

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
It's a shame the Blackstar isn't more vintage voices, it'd be a perfect amp for me if it wasn't so modern sounding.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
The Valveking Micro Head has a pretty great clean channel. It's a great low volume pedal platform and is generally $100+ cheaper than the Classic 20 MH. Just an option!

Tsquaredz

I wasn't highly impressed with the headphone out. Right now I'm running the XLR out into a Behringer MA400 for headphones, and I like it a lot better.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom