Peavey Classic 30 and a Weber Blue Dog Alnico??

jjp

I went through the earlier posts and the most recent I could find on this was back in 07, so I figured I'd post it as a new thread to hopefully get some newer results.

I've read a lot (and heard from the dealer as well) that replacing the Blue Marvel speaker in the C30 makes a world of difference. Many people on this forum (and others) appear to be quite fond of the Weber Blue Dog. I went to their site and I see that they make both the ceramic and the alnico. I guess, specifically, I am wondering which one would sound better in the Peavey C30 cabinet? If you have specific experience with this I'd love to know. I'm blindly leaning towards the alnico because I have heard such great things about alnico speakers in general (Celestion, Tone Tubby - both of which I considered). Also, has anyone out there attempted any of the mods found on blue guitar guy's mod list??

Regards, jjp

banjonat

I love my Classic 30, and have also replaced the stock Blue Marvel. Made a huge improvement in my opinion.

Depends what tones you're going for, but I installed and love the ceramic Weber California. Powerful warm cleans and extra punch, no speaker break up, tames the harsh highs, makes the perfect platform for pedals.

For all things Peavey, and so much more about Classic 30 upgrades you have to check out the Peavey Forum - Whammy Bar & Grille

http://forums.peavey.com/

Also look into swapping preamp tubes as a quick and affordable upgrade. Easier than any other mods and can really improve and tailor sounds to your style and needs.

Last edited:

Jef Bardsley

I tried the ceramic Blue Dog, and felt the Blue Marvel came a lot closer to the sound of a Celestion Blue (which sound really nice in a C30, btw). Right now, I'm using a WGS Green Beret, and I like that more than the current Greenbacks I've heard. Works well in a C30 with humbuckers.

jjp

after soem web sampling, I'm leaning more to the blue dog ceramic or the clestion g12h30 70th anniversary. i do like the idea of buying aspeaker thats made in the us. thanks for the feedback

James M

Gold Supporting Member
I did the Weber Blue Dog ceramic, as recommended by Weber techs specifically for that amp. Specifically, they recommended a 50 watt Blue Dog ceramic with Pre-rola doping. Sounded great ('till I traded it)!

PhillieGuy

I’m thinking about the Weber Blue Dog Ceramic in a C30 and a Silver Bell in my C112e cabinet. It’s a combination Weber recommends. I’m leaning towards the ceramic vs. alnico for cost and because the alnicos are supposed to sound better low and the ceramic loud. The C112e cabinet is closed back and the C30 open. Would either speaker sound better in either in the closed or open?

Trending Topics