Peavey Classic 30 & EL84's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Anyone else here agree that the Classic 30 is rough on tubes?
    I've had a set of EI EL84's that have awesome tone but after only 6 months my amp is starting to sound like crap. Is it time to replace already? I'm running a Celestion G12H30 also, great improvement.

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had the same set of JJs in mine for 2+ yrs. No prob. Rehearsals, gigs..... I hadn't heard that they were rough on tubes. ??

jon

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

jj's tend to do pretty well in those amps. also, believe it or not, groove tubes sound pretty good and last a decent amount of time in that circuit too. there are some reasonably priced NOS tubes like tungsram, etc that might be a better choice if you don't mind a little more $$.

4. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I've had JJ's in mine for at least a year and have gigged with it several times......still going strong.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

In the 10 years I owned a Classic 30, I only had to retube twice. It was a really reliable amp.

Why DID I sell it anyway?

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Wow, these reponses are all contary to the other forums I posted on. Eveyone else semed to agree with me and says roughly 6 months on the EL84's for a C30. Guess with the G12H30 and those EI's the tone is soo damn good and can really hear it when they start giving up the ghost. This little combo does give them hell...they shake, rattle and buzz. I even have Tom's tube tamer on em which did help significantly.

Oh, on the Groove Tubes comment, that don't mean a dang thing to me. Groove Tubes aint a brand dude, they're relabled. My EI's are "Groove Tube" rated. But they're still Yugo made EI's. When you say Groove Tube it would help to give the make/brand and possibly the rating.

7. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I had very short tube lifespans on my related Delta Blues.

8. RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy Member

Apparently Peavey recommend EL84M, 7189 and 7189A tubes in the classis. These tubes are all rated to 400V on the plate. A standard EL84 is rated to 300V on the plate. The Classic 30 schematic shows a B+ voltage of 332V. FWIW, I sell my customers JJ EL84's for the Classic and they seem to stand up well and sound good. Hope this is helpful.

Rob

9. punx0r 1337i57

punx0r 1337i57 Member

I've read from a number of sources that Ei tubes have some serious quality control issues. I can't say from personal esperience, but I've read that in multiple unrelated places.

10. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'm hard on the tubes in my C30. I usually get 5-6 months out of 'em before they need replacing.

11. Swampash

Swampash Member

I find that el84's in general - maybe because they have such detailed highs - seem to need refreshing more than other tube types. When I change them, it's almost like putting on new strings. However, I prefer single coil guitars and 'buckers might not show as significanct a difference in the swap.

YMMV, etc............

12. vhollund

vhollund Member

I agee on that ,I played classic 30 a while back , and it has a problem i think in the socket that is really sensitive to vibrations.
    Also played C 50 very nice amp with same problems after a while.

13. wixedmords

wixedmords Member

I am guessing it is just an issue with the Ei brand, as they aren't known for their reliability. But, many Ei's do have a great sound. Agreed.

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

My Delta Blues, a similar circuit I believe, was retubed with JJ's for power and EH for pre's. I did this because the amp was making some annoying noises (can't exactly remember what those noises were right now but it was enough to make me swap out tubes). I've gigged, rehearsed, recorded, pretty much everything with the Peavey and have not had to retube for the past two years. In my book, that's pretty reliable. Of course, I don't drive the amp past midway on the clean channel. Maybe it has to do with how hard you drive the power tubes...likely now that I think of about it.

15. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

I agree on the amp eats tubes fast and is prone to rattles. I first thought it was the cheap Sovteks but then replaced those with JJ's and they didn't last that long either. Probably due to the design and with that bias way too high from the factory. Still can't get over that huge midrange honk that amp has though. It works for certain things.