Peavey Classic 30 footswitch question???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbyatomic, Mar 29, 2015.

1. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I have one of the older made in the USA Peavey Classic 30s, I bought it used and it didn't come with a footswitch. I know you can get a 2 button footswitch from Peavey, although from what I've read I'm not 100% sure the new switches will work with the older amps, besides I'm not really interested in turning the reverb on and off, I just want to change channel, so I was wondering if just buying a cheap generic single latching footswitch would work at all? Or even if it does work would I be risking it just turning the reverb on and off and not changing channel? I'm not even sure if it's a latching or momentry switch I need? If anyone could help me out at all or point me towards a pedal that would work with the older model I would be incredibly grateful.

2. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Are you sure about that, I read around a lot of forums to try and find the answer before coming here to ask this question and I've never come across anyone having the problem that one of the switches doesn't control the channel, I've seen lots of post with people asking if the reverb on/off can be modded to the boost on/off, but haven't come across anyone complaining the footswitch doesn't engage the clean/crunch channels. Although if you look at the older footswitches one is marked reverb and the other select/effect so you could be right, if that's the case I have no idea how anyone who has ever plugged a guitar into an amp thought that would be the best solution, it's insane.

3. darkphader

darkphader Member

In case this helps at all - the footswitch from my DRRI works perfectly for my Delta Blues.

4. custom53

custom53 Member

5. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

That is not correct.... It's channel switch and reverb.... I have a very early version with backwards lettering and sheet metal screw chassis attachment.. it's the same as my later versions. Makes me wonder if somebody dinked with your amp.??

6. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have never seen a c30 with the loop footswtichable. that would take a bit of tinkering. one of the common complaints was that you could not footswitch the boost. this can be altered but it is a bit more work than most are up for. any latching footswitch will work for the channel.

7. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I think the c30 IIs now have foot switchable boost and standby switch

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would get one on eBay with LEDs. You put a battery in the switch if you want the LEDs, which I find extremely usefully to quickly know if the reverb is on and what channel you are on. I run the reverb very subtly so without the LEDs its sometimes hard to tell its on.

10. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Thanks everyone for their feedback, good to know the channels are switchable, I'd resigned myself to going back to the clean channel and overdrive pedals, which would have been a shame because I think the Peavey classics gain channel is very much underrated.
    If I could just pester you guys a little longer, would the Boss FS5L pedal work for this, its a single latching pedal, but it has a polarity switch, which I'm guessing would turn the pedal from reverb on/off to channel switch? I'm totally speculating on that. I'm looking at the boss pedal rather than the Peavey ones linked because if at all possible I'd like to put this on my pedalboard, so space is a concern.

11. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Yes I run 2 Boss FS-5L's linked together on my Classic 50 head. I use a Hosa stereo to mono cable. Should work on the Classic 30 also. One changes the channel and one turns the reverb on and off. But a Boss FS-6 and a stereo cable would be a little tidier.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-fs-6-footswitch?rNtt=fs-6&index=1

12. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated. This thread has definitely taken a turn for the better.