Peavey Classic 30 - HELP - What part is this that just burned up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Oct 9, 2008.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

A good friend of mine has a Peavey Classic 30 that just quit on him.... He pulled the chassis out and seen this, we both figured this was the culprit? The only problem is, we're not sure what it is?? Does anybody know what this part is that's toasted? I think we can replace it if we know what it is, or would this be crazy to try?

[​IMG]

2. angelo

angelo Member

Agreed, change out the tubes before you turn it on. Luckily, that may be the problem. If not, it is just the cost of tubes. Heck of a lot cheaper than the other options...........

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

R58 is a 400 ohm 5 watt flame proof resistor, or at least it was.:rotflmao

4. ajchance

ajchance Member

I repaired a classic 30 a few months ago. I had originally bought it to gut and build an amp, but it just had a small problem what was an easy $10 fix. In researching the amp on the net, I found that they apparently have a common problem with arcing across circuits near the tubes. You might take a close look around the tube sockets on the back and front of the circuit boards and see if that's an issue. I think mine had trouble around one of the power tubes if memory serves me correctly. Best of luck!

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

The guys are right about something probably shorted, the best way is check for shorts and if none found fire it up slowly with a variac.

6. skipm45

skipm45 Member