1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

peavey classic 30 or 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by les_paul_strat, Sep 26, 2005.

1. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

I have an excelent amp that i love right now but there is a big problem and i mean BIG.. the amp is huge.. its a 70's 4x10 bassman and i have to keep it upstairs and every time i gig or practice with it i want to just get rid of it cause i almost hurt myself carrying it.

So my solution is a smaller tube amp and i think either one of these amps would be best for me. I would judt like to know what you all think about them or if you have better suggestions.

2. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Don't think for a minute that the Peavey 50 is not heavy!!! It's quite a beast.

I would go with the 30, neat little amp. Sound's awesome after the half way mark on the clean channel, very bluesy. It also quite loud, and can make it over the drums quite easily.
    Replacing the stock tubes, and putting in something like a Celestion Vintage 30 really makes this amp great.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

3. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

Is it a very versatile amp?

4. ExtraStrength

ExtraStrength Member

I own a stock Peavey 50 classic combo. I think the 50 sounds better than the 30 and is a little more flexible. The 50 covers the a lot of classic rock and blues ground and has a pleasing sound. I think two speakers make the 50 sound bigger than the 30. The two channels clean and dirty are very nice. the dirty has pre and post allowing many combinations of pre and post amp gain. Coupled with the volume knob on your guitar you can cover a lot of ground.

Regarding the weight, the 50 is heavier than the 30, but I am sure it is considerably lighter than you 4-10 Bassman.

I will add that I agree with Slinky Man, the 30 is good also, and if real light weight is the way you want to go, it should be considered. I just think the 50 gives you more, including more weight.

5. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah the 30 1x12 can hang with a band for jams but I wouldn't want to necessarily gig with it. The C50 has lots better low end response and an external fuse holder and is all around more of a gig-worthy amp IMHO. C30 is great for practices and jams though

6. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

I will list my gear that i am going to run into it. I am going for a VERY versatile sound. I want it to be from classic rock, to hair rock, to blues, to jazz, to jam band, to contemporary rock so i need to know if this amp would be good for me.

guitar
    Epiphone les paul custom

Board
    (soon) fulltone clyde wah
    Tone bone hot british
    (soon) indyguitarist phat axx overdrive
    erniball jr volume (i only use it to turn my volume all the way out)
    with a boss tu 2 out of the volume
    Line6 MM 4
    Line 6 DL 4

7. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

I have also heard that it is the same as the peavey delta blues? is this true

8. ExtraStrength

ExtraStrength Member

I think the Delta Blues is in the same family, but it may be voiced differently. I have no direct experience with the Delta Blues.

In response to your previous post, I would have no problems doing a rock cover gig with your pedal board and a classic 50. There are better amps out there, but not many, if any, in that price range.

9. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

10. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

The Delta Blues is the same as the Classic 30 except it has Tremolo on it and comes in either a 1X15 or 2x10 speaker configuration. I just got a Classic 30 the first of this month, and I couldn't be happier with it. However, from what I'm gathering, a Classic 50 might be more up your alley.

11. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

Yeah i think so to. I like a 2 speaker amp better and the delta blues that i was going to buy is a 15

12. SFW

SFW Member

I have a Peavey Classic 50 head that I'm selling. Everything is tip top. I'd like $430 shipped.

PM me if you're interested.

13. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

pm sent

14. royd

royd Member

if the deal on the 50 desn't work out, look seriously at the delta blues... same basic sound as the 30 with more speaker surface so it moves a little more air. I have a 2 10 and am vey pleased with how it sounds. I've had soundpeople and other musicians comment on it wondering what it is (I removed the peavey name from the front).

15. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

I really do not want just one speaker though and the one i was going to buy is

16. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Yes the 50 is quite a versitle amp. With a gain pedal, such as your Tonebone, you could easily go into metal teritory, even without the gain maxed.

17. p.snail

p.snail Member

The Classic 50 definitely sounds better, but the 30 is a great gigging amp for small clubs and such and the thing is significantly lighter than the 50. However, I really think you should go give the new Kustom Coupe 36 a try. I A/B'd it with the classic 30 and it was no comparison. The Kustom was superior in every way. They are both designed by the same guy. James Brown now works for Kustom. He designed the XXX, the classic series stuff and from what I understand, had a hand in the JSX head as well. Plus the Kustom is light and easy to get around. Excellent reverb. Just a suggestion.