Peavey Classic 30 -- Popular Mods?

BlackT-Shirt

There may be one of these in my near future. Are there any common or popular mods for these amps that I should know about?

xStonr

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not sure what speaker comes with that amp these days but when Peavey was using the Blue Marvel, a speaker swap was necessary for some.

teefus

blueguitar.org used to have some great mods listed. schematics and layout diagrams were available too.

recto-robbie

Had many of these amps, speaker upgrade is great. Another mod nobody seems to mention is an upgraded reverb pan. I have a new one sitting around in its box if your interested, they are not expensive and found on amazon, Mod is the brand.
New pan makes a world of difference with the reverb.
Oh and if you get tired of the boxy sound out of the combo, plug it into an extension cab, you won't want to go back

recto-robbie

And throw some JJ power tubes in there, much better than the stock sovteks, maybe a nice nos 12ax7 in v1. Good to go!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
That is an amp that responds well when you roll some ANOS tubes in there. It loves Mullard or Telelfunken for power tubes, but it eats them. I'd look at a bias reset using better tubes. But the stock tubes were very bad sovteks.

I had a model that the tubes rattled pretty bad in...so I found a guy on eBay selling a little thing that held the tubes and helped them not rattle. Other than that I just played the heck out of it.

That was the amp that opened my eyes up to the world of tube amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom