Peavey Classic 30 speaker replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbyatomic, May 8, 2015.

1. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I've read around quite a bit on this topic, and I'm all set to buy an Eminence Cannabis Rex.
    Would anyone recommend anything over the Cannabis Rex? I'm kind of flying blind as it's neigh on impossible to try these things out before you buy. I play at both ends of the spectrum I like my cleans pristine and I like my overdrive chuggingly overdriven, I'm a big fan of the classic 30 but it can be nails down a blackboard shrill past the 15th fret, so its that I'm trying to tame.
    Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

C Rex should smooth things out. Probably not the best choice for crunch tones, but more for clean playing & smooth overdriven leads.

Louder, bigger bottom end than Blue Marvel, rolled off highs to smooth out harsh high end. It is an American voiced speaker, so British voiced speakers like a Greenback type or G12H30 should do the British crunch thing better.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

You want pristine cleans? Thats a tough order on a C30. I had one and tried many speakers. Only one would kill that dreadful hi-mid ice pick through the brain sound.
    It was an old Sunn from the 70's. It made the drive channel killer, but the cleans got a bit muddy.
    You can rack your brains like most C30 owners or just save time and headaches....get a different amp. It is the circuit. Tubes and speakers can't fix it.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to hear how the C20MH sounds with regard to the C30.

5. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

You could darken it with an ET65 or TT also..

I ended up with a hellatone 30 in mine. Just sounded good..

imho

6. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Cannabis Rex is does wonders for the clean channel. Unfortunately it a pretty steep compromise on the drive channel. I used one for a pretty long while in my C30 and ultimately have switched back to the WGS Reaper (G12H30 clone) that I originally put in there. The Reaper just sounds right.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Many Moons a go... I put a Celestion Blue in my Peavey Classic 30. Many of my friends thought I surely would blow it, But I never did. Its been in there for more than 10 years, and it Roars!

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Oh yeah, and I would strongly suggest finding some NOS EL-84 Power Tubes.

9. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

Your signature is a big liar...:Spank

Amps: Peavey Classic 30 w/ Cannabis Rex

10. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Now I'm starting to think I might just stick with the Blue Marvel, it doesn't sound bad on either channels and with an EQ in the loop the ice picky highs can be dialed down, I'm seeing with a lot of the recommendations they're either going to improve the clean channel at the expense of the drive channel or vice-versa, and I'm really not unhappy with the way either sound, I was hoping I could improve both by upgrading the speaker, but if it's going to be a compromise of one of the channels over the other maybe I'm better just sticking with what I've got.
    Thanks for the advice guys, you've not only saved me some cash but a possible electrocution, much appreciated.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Tone Tubby 40/40, voiced like Celestion but hemp cone like a CRex, tad less bottom heavy, more mids emphasis and more sparkle/presence on top end but still never harsh/fizzy after breaking in. Just as loud as a Rex. And hemp bottom means it does chugging rock and metal superbly.

[​IMG]

12. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Hehe yes i didn't change that. Actually switched the reaper back in only last weekend.

13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

So did you end up keeping the C30?

14. evildik

evildik Member

I really like the Emi Private Jack in those amps.