Peavey Classic 30 Speaker Swap: Do I Need The Same Power Wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cratskomodo, Feb 21, 2015.

1. cratskomodo

cratskomodo Member

I'm about to get a brand new set of tubes for my amp, and figured I might as well plot on a speaker swap to get the most out of it.
    The current options are Eminence Private Jack, Wizard, Man O War and Texas Heat.
    My question is, when buying a replacement speaker, should I aim to match the Power Wattage of the currently installed Blue Marvel?
    I believe that has a Power Wattage of 150W, whereas the other speakers (Private Jack, Wizard) have 50W and 75W respectively, and the other two (Man O War and Texas Heat) both have 150W.
    Also, what would getting a lower Power Wattage do to the amp? Such as the sound, does getting a lower Power Wattage lower my clean headroom before breakup?

I'm pretty new to this, it'll be my first time changing out the tubes so thanks for the time.

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

the c30 is a 30 watt amp. any wattage speaker there or above would work. the blue marvel might be rated for a peak of 150 watts but i doubt that it is much more than a 30-50 watt continuous rating. a lower wattage would make it more susceptible to failing more than anything. certain speakers break up earlier or later depending on their materials and design. some ribbed cone style speakers have earlier break up. some smooth cone speakers have later break up. most speaker manufacturers will make a note of break up.

3. cratskomodo

cratskomodo Member

So it depends on the speaker design itself about headroom and break up, rather than the Power Wattage? For example, if we took two similarly designed speakers, one with 150 power watt and one with 75, they should stay clean and break up around the same time?

4. teefus

with the same 30 watt amp? essentially, yes. there are some notes on the weber speaker page that say high wattage variations of the same speaker tend to be a little bit warmer but that is a pretty minor difference.

5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I would buy at least a 50 watt speaker. 16 ohm for the Classic 30. I recommend a 50 watt Weber Blue Dog Ceramic.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

7. cratskomodo

cratskomodo Member

Yeah was definitely planning on getting a 16 ohm; both the Wizard and Private jack are 16 ohm.

Interesting recommendation the Blue Dog, I usually hear recommendations for a G12H30 or a Celestion Vintage 30. I'll have to check it out.

8. teefus

i'll second the vote for the blue dog. a super speaker that sounds great in any british style amp. i wouldn't recommend the v30 though.

9. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I didn't like the Vintage 30 in my Classic 30, and frankly after running 4 or 5 speakers through my Classic 30 I decided the stock Blue Marvel was the best.

10. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

12"
    ■Impedance: 8 Ohms (they show the 16 ohm version as well, same specs)
    ■Power capacity: 300 W Peak 150 W Program 75 W Continuous
    ■Sensitivity: 96.5 dB 1 Watt / 1 meter
    ■Usable frequency range: 70 Hz ~ 6.5 kHz
    ■Cone: Paper with treated paper edge
    ■Voice coil diameter: 1.5" / 38 mm
    ■Voice coil material: 2 layers, thermally bonded copper wire Kapton former Nomex┬« stiffener
    ■Net weight lb. / kg: 8 lbs. / 3.6 kg

11. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

Do yourself a favor and add the Cannabis Rex to the TOP of your list................

Canard likes this.