Peavey Classic 30 vs. Palomino (Crate) V32

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazzgear, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Which is the better buy as an inexpensive Grab N' Go amp? For those gigs where you ain't hauling them expensive amps?

I can get either one for the same price......I know the Peavey has a longer standing....but from what little time I've spent with them, I really like the cleans much better on the V32.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I owned both. Still own my V32 and love it! IMO the V32 out performs the C30 both clean and dirty. Bob

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

I believe you are spot on.

I had a Classic 30 before my current amp (still have it in fact ... on indefinite loan to my dad). My brother in law recently bought a Crate V3112 which I believe is the same amp as a V32. I went shopping with him when he bought it and tried it out, and I've played through it since. The clean on the Crate is warmer and has more character than the Classic 30. The dirty channels are about on par to my ear. That's tone-wise ... you can judge for yourself on aesthetics, resale value and build quality ... and there is no subliminal message in that by the way.

That said, the Classic 30 is a fine amp in it's own right ... your hints at the kind of places you'll be playing the amp in lead me to believe that nobody in the audience would spot the difference : )

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I like the C30 and the V32 about equally. C30 has a smoother sound, and V32 has a crunchier sound. I hate both of their 2nd channels. Crank the first channel and volume knob to back off and clean. I think C30 is more Fender and V32 is more true to the EL84 sound.

5. joel98z

joel98z Member

Play both whatever sounds best to your ear get.. I have a bias for Peavey clasic so I would get the peavey

6. bynt

bynt Member

I really like the Palomino. Don't get me wrond, the Classic thirty smokes, it's a great amp for the money but after trying that Palomino, I gotta give it it's props.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I like the look of the older Peavey Classic's. Of course you need tube tamers and other mods are nice too. So I would go that way. Because they are very comparable amps sound wise. Just depends on what sound YOU like...

dk

8. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I liked my C30. Although the combo itself sounded a bit boxy - the head I'm thinking would be GREAT with a 2x12 cab loaded with nice speakers. Cheap too!

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've had multiple Peavey Classics. Back when I still had my last C30, I went out to try the Crate Palomino to see what all the fuss was about. I left shaking my head and did not understand all the hype surrounding these amps. Of course my C30 was running select tubes and speaker while the Crate was stock. The Crate was still Crate and had that cheap look and feel to it. It was "ok" but I really coudn't see how someone would pick it over a C30 strictly tone wise. Cleans were thin and plain sounding, overdrive was one of the fizziest I've ever heard from a real tube amp. YMMV.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I sold my C30 and never looked back. My US made V32 however is a keeper.This is coming from a Peavey fan. You must have tried one with a bad tube or something. Tonewise the V32 will eat it alive. Bob

11. trazan

trazan Member

For death metal you mean? Or for 80's polka?

:JAM

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...I recently rediscovered the second channel on my C30 also.
    I think what helped both clean and OD the most, I ran straight in from guitar, no pedals in the way. It blew me away. Playing just with EQ controls, I find setting the OD channel to its' best leaves me with a fine setting for the clean as well. Both are REALLY nice.

I don't knnow the Crate though,so I can't compare. I compare the C30 to my Fender (Prosonic, Concert Pro-tube, Deluxe Reverb II) and honestly, I think the C30 has more range in both clean and OD side. Meaning on OD I can get dumblier, or nastier as I want easily. Cleans up excellently with volume control on guitar too.

Nothing bad about the C30, I did buy a tube-tamer though. Definitely helped a lot.

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

say what?

14. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

try an older crate vintage club 50...case closed

15. trazan

trazan Member

Was just wondering why he thought the Palomino ate the Classic alive. If he mostly plays polka or death metal his comment wouldn't mean much to me.

Just sayin' that when a complete stranger says that somthing eats another thing alive I'm left pretty clueless ;)

16. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

You must have had a bad C30? Hehehehe.

For what it's worth, my Orange Rockerverb blows them both away, and most Marshalls as well, and......well I'll stop with that. :)

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

Ah ... gotcha.

Don't think either amp will do death metal without pedals. I'd agree that you do usually have to qualify what kind of music is being thought about when discussing an amp's performance in isolation. But, the V32 and Peavey Classic 30 are so similar in terms of tone, EQ capabilities, features, amount of gain available, etc. that I think comparing the two without reference to what sort of music you want to play is a valid thing to do ;) ... though if you haven't heard either I suppose that makes it tough to get anything from it ...

18. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've owned a few of both through the years--classic 30 and 50 when they first came out, then a V32 and v16 combo, then a classic 30 again and now a made in vietnam V32 head through an Avatar 2x12--with numerous other mass-market and boutique amps in between.

I can say unequivocally that the V32--Vietnam made included--are in an entirely different league tone-wise than the Peaveys. That's not to say that the Peaveys are bad. I gigged with a Classic 50 for years with good results. But there's always that "Peavey thing" happening in the upper mids, and you can't get rid of it no matter what you do. Call it a harshness, or a harmonic deficiency, or whatever, but over the years, that's been my issue with Peaveys of every tube and speaker type, with the possible exception of the 5150.

The V-series crates, on the other hand, are far more harmonically complex, and sweet-sounding--both clean and overdriven--to my ears. I can't think of many amps, at any price, that have such stellar clean and overdriven tones in the same amp. The only potential pitfall of the Crates is reliability.

19. MartinC

MartinC Member

I agree ... though I don't know anything about Crate's reliability ...

Did you ditch your Black Pearl for the V32?