Peavey Classic 30 .....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by macmax77, Jan 22, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

While i've always got expensive amps and always in a way dissed Peavey, i have heard so many clips on this amp and all i can say is WOW!!!

It has tones for days.

I mean , after playing $2500+ amps i must say that this little bugger would be the p4p champ (as it sounds in the clips)

This week i will go to a Store and try the thing cause i am mighty impressed with it.

Can't believe it, just have to find a way to hide the Peavey Logo , which i never liked anyway.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

On the older models the Peavey logo screws right off.

If you like the Classic series of amps, check out the Kustom Coupe series of amps. They were made by the same guy. Good stuff.

dk

3. bynt

bynt Member

I dig em. I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck out there. I really like the overdrive in them as well. Good luck man!!!

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I have a C30 in our rehearsal space. Going to switch out the speaker and tubes one of these days but it's a great little amp and powerful!

5. bmoring

bmoring Member

I've had a classic 30 for 7 years now. I recently replaced the tubes and speaker with jj's and a cannabis rex. It made an already good amp much better. I'd still like a carr rambler, but this I think is as good as it gets for the money.

Bob

6. Miles

Miles Member

Great amp, I also love the 50. Nice clean, smooth gain, just a great tool to have.

I generally use mine for backup or for lessons, but our lead player borrows it occasionally. You can play large or small clubs with it. Sometimes, an ext. cab helps for stage dispersion on large stages, but generally, it can do all of it with volume to spare by itself.

7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

J, you find the right speaker for your tastes, and the C30 is a real KEEPER for cheaper! (said the rockin poet! :roll)

8. SixStrRzr

SixStrRzr Member

So the PV Classic 30 1x12 combo would be a good amp to fill the space between my Princeton and my Rivera 2x12? I'm looking for an amp about that size. A buddy recommended a 1x12 VHT Pittbull (I do Classic Rock/Blues), but they're $1k + used.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I keep going back to mine, but find out also that it is an amp that...though it isn't (I think) fantastic for pedals it isn't a dog either...but I find I like it best with way less pedals, and the OD is one of the best around...enough that I am letting my OD's sit at home.

The only thing that sucks is that the speaker is not pluggable. I know I can mod it and probably will, but I can't understand them hard wiring it in this day and age. The 1 x 12" doesn't give me a full enough sound (though it is a very nice sound) so pairing it up with a cab extension is pretty nice.

I keep rediscovering this amp, and suspect that I would really like the 50.
    Never played a 50 yet though.

10. mude

mude Supporting Member

With the right pedal, the Classic 30 has some killer lead tones IMO. It can have this mid-rangy thing going that cuts through mix with some great sounds. Great amp for the money and pretty darn good amp in general.

Evan.

11. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

i think the classic amps have the best built in overdrive of any amp even NEAR that price range. I will openly admit I haven't had the opportunity to hear very many boutique/high end amps. But compared to fenders, marshalls, and vox I really like the overdrive of those classic series amps.

The classic 50 is much better than the 30 to my ears.

12. Lt_Core

Hey Howie,

I keep thinking I want to try an Eminence Governor or some other V30 clone. Being in a rock band, I like having the extra mids to cut through the mix, especially since the C30 is a little dark. Thoughts?

Wish I could try a ton of speakers but that is not feasible, money-wise or time.

13. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Wanna hear your C-30 have a marked improvement? Slip a good Mullard or Amperex into the v1 slot. After a couple of years of me praising NOS, my non-believing friend finally gave it a try in his C-30. He was severely impressed.

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The PVs that I dislike are the modern stuff,
    But,
    I totally dig the "vintage" stuff.

Classic 30 is one of the best amps for the money!
    Another,
    Is the Delta Blues loaded with a 15", SRV in the box!

Try one!

15. Lt_Core

Stock speaker? Do you have a link to the Mullard tube for the C30? Thanks!

16. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

A couple of questions about the venerable Classic 30 - is the volume taper smooth from 0 on up or does it have a volume jump? Also, does the Classic 30 take OD pedals well?

Thanks.

17. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

very smooth volume taper, just used mine at low volume today...as for pedals, it does take them well out front, the loop i havent tried much. The overdrive is so nice, it doesn't really need boost pedals out front.

18. royd

royd Member

I have a delta blues with 2 10s... it is pretty much the same amp as the classic 30 with added vibrato and a larger box with either a 15 or 2 10s. It is a great sounding amp. I'm a little nervous about the construction and don't expect it to last forever but b4b, it is amazing.

I have a kot and a HBE power screamer and it works fine with them to my ears. I never thought about the volume taper...

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Classic 50 is one of the best amps ever made.. (IMO)
    Has more headroom then most amps of the same wattage ..
    Even with EL84's.. which is almost unheard of ...

20. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I was in the same boat kept hearing a bunch of clips. Went to the local music store and went home with one. It got more play time than my Bogner XTC for a long while!