Peavey Classic 30.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamminoutloud1, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Well, after seeing many clips on youtube of this amp, I am actually very impressed with this amp.
    I think I may go on ebay and try to get one.
    I also remember, I emailed the guitarist James Muller a year ago, one of my favorites, and he told me that he recorded one of his cd's with a Peavey classic 30. I was shocked.
    I think I am going to go with the vintage look, as opposed to the new ones...I like the way they look more, and from talking to people, they say they are better.
    When looking to buy one, is there anything I should keep my eyes out for...like any particular year era, speakers, tubes, etc.?
    When I played one, I didnt care for the reverb...how much is it to get a decent reverb tank put in?
    Let me know on your thoughts.

2. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I want one of these for my Thai home. Problem is they want 30,000 baht for one. That equals $900.

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Have you played one, recordings don't get the tone of an amp. The Peavey Classic 30 looks good on paper, not a great sounding amp IMO. The Delta Blues version has a channel isolation problem, the dirty channel bleeds into the clean channel when I played them a couple years ago. And peaveys really don't sound that great, I have a couple and there are a lot better amps available in that price range.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe would be a much better choice, 40 watts three channels, I am getting some of JJ's 6V6 tubes orded them last friday, the 6V6 tubes in my Mesa Mark IV really gave me great tone, hopefully that will be case with the HRDx. The HRDx is a little more expensive than the Peavey Classic 30, but its a much better amp IMO. The HRDx with the 6v6 tubes will be around 30 watts, so it should be a problem since your looking at the lower watted Peavey.

I will say that buying an amp on looks, unlistened to its the biggest mistake in the world, I have the Texas Red version of the HRDx, Red with a tweed grille cloth, however I am familiar with HRDs and I did play the amp before I bought it.

4. 205

205 Senior Member

Sorry but the old ones aren't better, I've played both old and new and both sound the same. The classic 30 has never changed, same circuit, same speaker just a different logo design.

5. JimH

JimH Member

I personally like the amp. I'm not sure on the reverb tank but if you can get a used one with a speaker upgrade - to almost anything, then you'll be in business. I'd probably put a greenback in there if I had my time again.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Gavi ...
    This is what it sounds like totally stock with just a
    Maxon compressor in the front and a Boss DD-3 delay in the loop ...
    This is just the OD channel ...

Norwegian Wood (Got YouTubed) - The Gear Page

The reverb really isn't so bad ...

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

All of the lower range Peavey amps benefit from a speaker upgrade. I always recommend Eminence speakers as a good choice to look into. http://www.eminence.com/

Sometimes the amps rattle a bit too but if you do a little work on them they can sound really great, especially for the price. Often it is the Blue Marvel speakers that cause a lot of the rattle - don't know why but it has been the case for me on three occasions.

You can sometimes pick up reverb units on ebay and they're usually easy enough to intsall as long as the physical dimensions don't exceed your cabinet size. Most of the Peavey reverb tanks don't sound so deep or lush to my ears - they're usually a two spring design - adequate but not exceptional.

8. trazan

trazan Member

I tried the old and the new design side by side. They sounded pretty identical, except for the reverb. I liked the reverb in the new one much better. The old one sounded like it had rubber springs, the new one was much smoother. I don't know if those differences applies to all amps or just the two I tried though...

9. jamminoutloud1

Lucidology,
    You sound great on that thing! Sustain baby...
    Is your amp stock, or did you do any speaker upgrades or tubes?
    It probbably has a lot to do with your guitar as well...

10. mude

mude Supporting Member

I like a Classic 30 quite a bit. I generally just use the clean side and pedals. All by itself, it is pretty good, but it does much better in the mix to my ears. I like the mids and it cuts through well with the ability to sound pretty big for a tiny 1x12 combo.

The Jack Daniels version sounds best of all of course (even if they are all the same amp). :D

Evan.

11. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Problem? In Brazil they cost around 1700 USDS new :crazy ...

Tested one of the new ones a friend bought... The tone won't take your breath away, but sure does sound pretty good. He changed the speaker for a Eminence one, can't remember what model, but I still haven't checked it out... He said it improved a lot the bass response, made it fuller.

12. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

A good friend of mine had a Classic 50 4-10 combo years ago that was pretty good sounding. Now he wishes he never sold it. Much better than a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that have pretty good cleans, but terrible overdriven tones. I don’t care for any of the Fender Hot Rod series amps.

One thing I noticed about the classic 30’s over the years is that they’re very hit and miss. I’ve played some that were pretty good sounding, and others that were terrible.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

All stock Gavi ...
    A good optic compressor Maxon CP101 in front of it I feel is key...
    Of course a good guitar helps (that's a Melancon chambered T) ...

I posted another Youtube in Member's sound clip section where I use the same guitar through a Peavey Classic 50 ... (only the camcordor sound isn't as good ..)
    I'm using a Jetter GSR for a slight OD on this one...
    When gigging I switch between the chewy Classic OD, and the thinner but more dumle-isk GSR pedal ...

Here it is if you're curious:

U-Tubed & ToneZapped w/Kid's Dancing (Lucid Cam on da St.) - The Gear Page

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

It's my opinion that the overdrive channel on the Peavey Classic amps sounds ALOT better than the overdrive channel on the Fender HotRods. Like, a million billion trillion times better. Now clean on the other hand, I'll give that to Fender.

My Twin Reverb Reissue with pedals stomps the heck out of both. :)

15. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

16. joel98z

joel98z Member

Awsome amp. A speaker upgrade and a good compressor will do it wonders. I have GreenBacks in my classic 50.. Emi Private jacks would work good to.

17. jamminoutloud1

With the right pedal, can you get dumblish sounds out of it? I'm thinking the fuchs plushdrive...

18. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, that's really high. Buy one and take it there?

19. jamminoutloud1

20. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

I had 2 of them...one made in Mexico the other in the USA...and w/o a doubt the USA made model sounds 200% better....and that's even after upgrading the speaker in the Mexico made one with a Celestion G12H30...the cheapo speaker in the USA and all sounded better. Ultimately I put the G12H30 in the USA made model and sold the other.