Peavey Classic 410 v. 59 Bassman RI Ltd

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Anyone familiar with both of these? I'd played the LTD in a store with a 52 tele ri a while ago and liked it a lot. great, swirling deep tone. Last night I was at a rehearsal and they had a peavey classsic 410 there. After about 5 minutes I just couldn't believe the tones I was getting. KARRAAANGG! It was Electric Ladyland heaven. We started playing Come On and All Along The Watchtower (my strat is a g&l legacy with suhr V60LPs), even some band of gypsies, Changes etc - eveything sounded just so clean with a touch of hair, and yet full bodied. That's the key. I got that klangy strat sound that I have to admit I don't get from my Tone King Meteor. The sound out of the Tone King is more sparkly, but it's a 112. Maybe that's the big thing.

Anyway, these peaveys are pretty amazing, and so much cheaper than the 59 bassmans. But then again the bassman weighs 10 pounds less and I am an old fart. Anyone familiar with both? Can the Bassman do what I describe better than the peavey? thanks.

2. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

I used to love my Classic 50! The only complaint was the noise from the fan....that was 10 years ago, so they may have changed it. Also, the speakers weren't the best either...... but i always received good compliments on my tone.

But my Marshall Jubilee 1/2 stack smokes it.... except the clean channel.

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

When the Bassman reissues came out I was in a store that had both the Fender and the Peavey. In some ways I preferred the Peavey, a little more versatile.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I like the Fender FAR mors for cleans, the PV more for its drive channel. For your info, it sounds like you are finding out what I did. The PV classic 50 and Fender bassman and HR Devilles smoke most of the boutiques costing so much more! Both sounded even better (MUCH)than 3 Dumbles and a Trainwreck for cleans and on the edge of breakup tones. VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!:AOK :AOK :AOK

5. Miles

Miles Member

You can't compare them to boutiques, it's very subjective. I can say that I would take the classic 50 410 any day over any Genz Benz, Matchless, or Bogner, so I don't think they sound similar, and neither do Fender HRD's.

Back to the thread, I would take the Classic 50 over the Bassman, due to versatility and a solid OD at any volumes. Also, the clean channel sounds fat and gritty when it breaks up. The Bassman has some wonderful tones, but you don't get the versatility, so you can't cover nearly as much ground without pedals.

6. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Well I do like using pedals for drive tones, so the drive channel on the peavey might not be as important to me. What IS important is that HUGE, round, clear, clangy, strat tone I was getting last night. I only had the amp on 4 so I don't know what it sounds like breaking up. And I was using a honey bee as well. The classic 50 is 4 el84s and the Bassman 32 6L6s so that would account for a different sort of tone. Both great. Maybe I need to try my strat through a Bassman ltd.

But being able to pick up one of these peaveys for under $500 make them pretty attractive. If only they weren't so frickin heavy...

7. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

As mentioned above, the four EL84 tubes in the Peavey compared to the two 6L6 tubes in the Bassman account for a significant portion of the difference.

I have had the Peavey Classic 50 (4x10), a Bassman RI, and the Victoria version of the tweed Bassman, and MANY other amps. I would say that the Peavey has GREAT tone for the money spent - at least for the short term. They will not be around 50 years from now because of the way they are put together.

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

quote=lannyhall]...I would say that the Peavey has GREAT tone for the money spent - at least for the short term. They will not be around 50 years from now because of the way they are put together.[/quote]

Is there such an animal as a better-put-together classic 50 4x10?

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

Well, I can't compare the Classic 50 to the more expensive amps mentioned, but there's some things I cazn say:

1) I own and use the Classic 50 head (into a 2x12...as in sig), and love it.

2) It sounds "good" to begin with.

3) It is the most responsive amp I have ever toyed with as far as tubes and speakers. These changes always make a difference (especially speakers), but the Classic 50... for some reason... almost changes character to my ears. Throwing NOS Tesla EL84s into one makes a WORLD of difference in clarity. Push that through some good speakers and it's pretty impressive, dollars aside. My strange combo of Blue Dog/Chicago really, really works for me - punchy, full sounds, with awesome harmonics.

:)

10. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

They are both fine amps and a great value used! I have had both and while they are different in tone, both get the job done on a budget.As far as how long they will last...longer than I'll be playing ;)

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

could you describe how their tones differ? I know it's all subjective, but I'd love to hear your take on it...

12. Derelict

Derelict Member

i have never played a c50 4x10, but man oh man, if its half as good as the bassman, its a great amp. the bassman is absolutely wonderful. i would just love to hear from someone else w/ experience with both.

13. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

The fender has some no kidding bad ass tones. It's a proven work horse and has it's own signature tone stack. (Warm, sweet at low volumes and hotter as you dial her up for super classic rock, alt. country and outstanding blues tones.) just ask ole Jim Marshall! ;)

The Classic has decent preamp/master volume controls for lower volume rock sounds plus reverb and foot switchable channels.It can be as sweet and very rich as well in tone.

To me the fender is a tad bit warmer and smooth and I think the power tube set up holds that key. She is what she is..a legend!

The peavey is IMHO the better rock amp. Simply due to it's versatility with an effects loop, reverb, master volume and channel switching capabilities.
    Her tone bang for the buck is outstanding!

One of my Fav. Guitarist is a R & B player from Montgomery,AL Sheffield Walker. He was personal friends with Albert King and shares some of his playing style. Sheffield played thru my classic 50 many years ago at a blues jam and he said if he closed his eyes when they both were turned up (he plays very loud as many older r&b cats do) he couldn't tell them apart.They both do sound really great.Sheffield is a die hard bassman player by the way.

some basic specs..

FenderĀ® 59 Bassman Features:
    • True to the original '59 Bassman design
    • 50W
    • 4 - 10" speakers
    • Finger-jointed pine cabinet
    • Genuine lacquered tweed covering
    • New US-made GT-6L6 output tubes
    • Improved 12AX7 preamp tubes
    • Original spec 5AR4 rectifier tube
    • Internal bias pot has been added to adjust for other tubes
    • Fitted cover is included
    Peavey Classic 50/410 Features:
    • 50 watts into 16 or 8 ohms
    • 4 - 10" Blue Marvel speakers
    • 3 - 12AX7 preamp tubes
    • 4 EL84 power amp tubes
    • Normal and bright inputs
    • 3-band passive EQ
    • Presence control
    • Normal and lead volume
    • Lead post gain
    • Master volume
    • Reverb control
    • Effects loop
    • Fan cooled
    • Chrome-plated chassis
    • Tweed covering
    • 4 - 10" Blue Marvel speakers
    • Footswitch included
    • 24-1/2"W x 24"H x 11-1/2"D
    • 63 lbs.

14. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

Lannyhall nails it. The main tonal significance is that the Classic is an EL-84 based amp and the Bassman LTD is a 6L6 powered amp. Big difference in tonal characterisitcs. Just depends on what you like.

The Bassman doesn't have the bells and whistles of footswitches, effects loops, channel switching, and it isn't marketed to the group that's after those items. It is sold as a solid tonal foundation, and that is exactly what it is. You get the great Fender clean, and the Tweed break up that many yearn for. You can shape the tone to individual tastes beacuse the Bassman LOVES pedals. Great amp.

The Peavey Classic series are great amps. They represent a significant milestone for Peavey in porviding great sounding, reliable amps at an affordable price. The Classic series pulled Peavey out the slump they were in during the 80s and early 90s and helped to establish them as a serious contender in the amp market. Not crazy about the Blue Marvel speakers, but then again, I am thinking of scrapping the Jensen P-10Rs in my Bassman for some Webers.

15. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I now have a new LTD and did have a Peavey. The major difference as others have pointed out is in the power tubes, but the preamp sections are also very different. I now prefer the bigger power tubes after a ten year run with 84 amps of different stripes and I find that changing out the first two preamp tubes on the LTD can really help shape tone. Finally, the Peavey weighs about 13 lbs more than the LTD. That's significant. If you are over 50. About the only true commonality, I think, is that they are both four tens. Beyond that, there's little else. Both are very good amps.

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

So if you were about to go onstage and play a set that included Electic Ladyland tunes, Come On, Voodoo Chile (the long version), Gypsy Eyes, etc. - that is to say you wanted that big, clean but rounded 3d hendrix tone, which amp would you want to plug into?

17. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Personally, I would choose the Bassman with a pedal in front of it. Like all Fenders, once you get half way in volume it doesn't get any louder, it just saturates and gets thicker and dirtier. Use a pedal or, use the volume knob on the guitar. Or both. Can't remember if the Peavey stays clean on the clean side.

18. Miles

Miles Member

No, once you're getting above a drumset the peavey clean gets a little gritty, at least using hotter humbuckers. For my music, I love that tone, but if you want shimmery cleans, it probably won't quite get you there, but it'll be close. The dirty channel sounds very 3-d and it stays articulate and clear at very high volumes. I was astounded by this amp and still have yet to find a boogie or marshall that is quite as good all-around as the classic 50, and I'm sure many would disagree with me, but that's only my taste. If you just like a fuzz box, get the bassman, it's a solid amp, but if you like amp OD like I do, I tend to think pedals sound too artificial and not nearly responsive enough at high volumes, even the OCD, so I like a good 2 channel amp.

19. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I honestly can go either way, amp od or pedal od, or a combination of both. The biggest concern I have is that huge 3 sound in the Classic 50 410, that's what I'm after, but I wonder if I'd lose it at higher volumes. Can the bassman ltd do that huge 3d sound, and maybe breakup a bit later? second consideration is the weight, third is price.

20. Miles

Miles Member

The classic 50 does not lose that sound at all at higher volumes, in fact, it becomes more 3-dimensional as natural feedback becomes a factor. It is truly such a solid amp that is very consistent in different environments, and across the volume spectrum. It doesn't sound fizzy or lackluster at low volumes, it sounds great, and then when cranked it is thick and punchy, and the 410 configuration gives it a powerful punch and honk, every note cuts through so well. I'm sure the Bassman is equally strong, it just doesn't have the versatility, and I hated experimenting with pedals, I just wanted a good amp that had a lot of range.