Peavey Classic 50 4x10 Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by M. Roy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. M. Roy

M. Roy Guest

Hey guys:

I'm in the market for a new combo, and having recently tried a Peavey Classic 50 4x10, I have to say that I was really impressed. The clean tone was great. The OD wasn't bad either, but I'll be using my ToneBone Classic for gain, so an amp that's pedal-friendly with a solid clean tone is what I'm looking for.

Who's had one? Thoughts on reliability, tone, etc.....

Thanks.

2. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I think the Classic 50 is a sweet amp for the price if you're using both channels. However I find that the clean channel sounds a little stiff with pedals (mine does), so if you're going to use the Tonebone for your crunch, I would consider (and I do not know your budget) a Super Reverb or even a Deville. The Peavey's out class the Deville's by miles on the dirty side, but I found that the Devilles take pedals better. Maybe it's the 6L6's, I don't know. I own a number of high-end amps and recorded half of our last cd with a 4x10 Deville and a few select pedals.:dude

3. straticus

straticus Member

I played through a Peavey Classic 4x10 exclusively for almost three years. I still think it's one of the best amps you can get for the money. Killer bang for buck ratio. It had more than enough gain for me. The only pedal I ever used or needed with it was a wah.

4. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I used to use a Classic 50 410 and I loved it. Great amp. Really responds to different tubes. Get rid of the stock Sovteks and put in some JJ's. The Peavey was a big part of my multi amp setup, but also sounds great on it's own. If you buy new, it will take a while before the speakers break in, but once they do, it sounds sweet. Forward mids and nice and chimey on the high end.

Great amp.......................:D

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Excellent advice - I used a Classic 50 2x12 combo with a 4x10 extension cabinet as my main rig for about 6 years, and it never sounded better than after I put some good tubes in it - pre and power. Really brought the amp to life.

--chiba

6. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I played thru mine yesterday for the first time in a while-I'd forgotten what a good little amp it is. Tough to beat for the money and really roadworthy, too.

7. flamed1

flamed1 Member

Another fan of the classic 50 here too! Been using a 50 2x12 combo with Celestion V30's for a few years as my main rig along with a couple of pedals. Great bang for the buck and very reliable. :D

8. M. Roy

M. Roy Guest

Right on. I think I've made my choice. The only way I would get something other than the Classic is if I could score a '59 Bassman RI for a good price, or a Peavey Classic 50 head (which I stupidly passed up last year - now Peavey doesn't make 'em anymore.... way to go).

I've heard plenty of guys play live with these, and that's where I fell in love with the tone.

9. telemike

telemike Member

+ 1 on the Peavey Classic 50 Head. I have the reverb disconnected in mine. It has a full compliment of JJ's and sounds killer. Loves my pedal board and I can switch around cabs to suit my taste. Great headroom for a country gig.

10. M. Roy

M. Roy Guest

I play blues/rock in the syle of Warren Haynes, Gibbons, Trower but also do a lot of country and southern style stuff. From what I read here, the Classic 50 should work well for me.

11. M. Roy

M. Roy Guest

Nice! One snag though: the seller doesn't ship to Canada. I'd love to get my hands on one of those heads. I could have gotten one brand new out of the box for $700 CND last year. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not picking it up.

12. Hoady Snitch

Hoady Snitch Guest

...I have one ...its a cool amp....had it since 92 0r 93....
    about the same time I got my 1970 fender deluxe reverb...the 4/10 peavey IS a versitile amp....but I have a 1976 twin,..a/b witha 1972 50w marshall 1986 for big....and have the 70 deluxe and want a 1974x or 2061x for small(a/b)
    and the peavey dosen't get used alot....used to use it though....
    very kool amp!

13. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Too bad that is a good deal!

You're right M. Roy. I think the Classic 50 would suit you well. I had a head and cab (which I really prefer to a combo - not as heavy you have flexiblity with cab options).

I used my for a few years and it was better than I knew. Very reliable. I sold the head and cab to a friend for about $300!! and that's in Canadian dollars!!:eek: :(

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I have had a CLassic 50 4x10 for over ten years. I recently bought a Carr Rambler. Most of my guitars sound best in the Rambler, but I have a couple that actually sound better in the Peavey than they do in the Rambler.

Great dirty sounds as well in the Peavey.

Great bang for the buck.

Time for me to think about some JJs.

:cool:

15. riffy

riffy Member

How do you guys think one of these things would sound for progressive to heavy rock with a couple of good pedals in front of either channel. Its been a long time since I played thru one and even then it was only on the clean channel. I loved its clean sound.

Gary

16. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

By itself with a good fuzz or overdrive pedal it will do very well. I found it performed best in a multi amp situation though. Next to a Marshall, it really kicks ass and fills out the lower mids that the Marshall can sometimes lack. It was a big part of my sound for over 3 years. Great amp......:dude

17. M. Roy

M. Roy Guest

OK, so the consensus on this is to throw in some JJ's when I buy the thing.

I'm got an old Music Man combo which I outfitted with JJ's, and it really kicks ass, especially for the country stuff.

18. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Contact Bob at Eurotubes for the JJ tubes. His prices are great and he will give you suggestions as to what grade of tubes will work best for the sound your after.

All this talk is making me GAS for another Classic 50. I might just have to find a head............:D

19. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I played one for several years before the Great Fire that burned my studio and woodshop. I loved it.