Peavey Classic 50 - 4X10 Owners ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarman1956, Oct 1, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I just picked up one in great condition. Would like your input on tubes you found to work great in this amp. Mine has China pre-amp tubes and EH El84s.

Thanks for the help.

2. JimH

JimH Member

Nice work - good amp. Standard answer is a set of JJs. You won't go far wrong with those but there are a million alternatives.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I use the highest headroom JJ's for the EL84's,
    but ended up sticking with the stock preamps tubes because they sounded just right

4. geng

geng Member

JJ works fine, also EH

5. nomadh

nomadh Member

I switched around some from my original Chinese ax7 and sov el84. Just a little buzzy in the gain channel. Part of it was speaker break in but it still had some. I only had old stock tubes to try at the time. Of those I settled on an old 5751 v1 and ge or rca el84. This is from memory so I need to check for sure. I think it did help. I was playing it at max gain just last night and it played well. I have alot more tubes to try now so I may play some more. I'd like to try a jj ax7 and tung in it. Also my mull ri 84s. Hopefully someone else has tried more. Another easy fix for me was a tube screamer on with the gain channel. Smoothed the buzz right out. I've been playing my crate V30 mostly because of its great gain channel but at my last gig I really missed my peavey on some of my clean songs.
    Congrats on getting a great amp. If you ever think you need something better you're probably obsessing. (Like I do :)

I just checked and I have a chinese in V1 and ge 5751 in V2 and V3 with GE el84s. Seems odd but thats where the tone led me last I was messing with it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008