Peavey Classic 50 combo or upgrade to head/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sjkelly2, Feb 13, 2012.

1. sjkelly2

sjkelly2 Member

Hey Guys, I'm starting to think about switching up my amp but getting a little lost in the sea of choices...

Currently I've got a Classic 50 combo with 2 Celestion Greenbacks. Playing either a custom built guitar with p90s or a mexi-strat > Mini DejaVibe>Modded Vox Wah>OxFuzz Si>MJM Phantom>Chicago Iron Octavia>EHX Memory Toy
    For the most part I get a sound I like out of it but sometimes especially with the p90s it is a little bright for my taste.

I had planned on switching out speakers to G12H-30's for a warmer tone, but my buddy just switched cabs and he offered me his old avatar cab for 100 bucks which has me thinking of switching to a head/cab. I've been looking a bit at the Dr Z remedy. Basically I am wondering if is worth selling the 50 and upgrading, hoping to stay in the price range of the remedy, or will I get what I need out of a speaker change? Any help, or head suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like many others I'm aiming to get a tone similar to Hendrix's...warm and rounded.

2. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I don't think switching from Greenbacks to G12H-30s is gonna tame your brightness.

Not sure what to say about the Classic 50/Head and Cab question other than, if you're unhappy or want to be happier with your tone, move on to the next best thing. I've owned a Classic 100 Full Stack and a Classic 50 4x10 and neither kept my interest long. The 100 sounded stellar at really high volumes, but that's about it.

And Dr Z makes some great amps, and $1649 is a really good price for the Remedy.

3. germs

germs Member

Peaveys tend to be a little bright by nature - it's why some of us prefer the Fender counterparts. however, you might just have a particularly bright sounding guitar - you might want to try it at a shop with a larger selection. don't forget about re-EQ'ing for different guitars...

that said, you might have some trouble picking up an amp that can immediately replace the C50. it's a good amp. if it were me, i would shop around and find one that i like better/more, buy it, THEN sell the Peavey - if at all possible.

if you want to do the head/cab thing, you should probably check out the channel switchers by

Jet City
    Peavey (obviously something different...)
    Egnater
    Blackstar

they all try to copy the Marshall (or some variant of) sound, but they're good, solid brands.

4. sjkelly2

sjkelly2 Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely be shopping around a bit, hoping to get a good trade in value at a local shop for the 50 if I offer to buy a head cash...we'll see though.

5. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Hey I know this guy! But yeah, I can vouch for the occasional over-brightness. My classic 30 had a ton of top end and not a great bass response. Just how peavey's are voiced

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012