Peavey Classic 50 - old vs new

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sgguitarzz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

I played one of these in a studio we rehearsed in a week ago. It was one of the old tweed style models w/2x12" speakers. It was totally beat to hell and in horrible shape but it sounded great. Nice clean sound, great midrange, no spikey highs with decent reverb and a great pedal platform. Definitely a nice EL84 sound. I see the new models look much different. If this difference only cosmetic or have they changed the quality/sound any?

2. JAP09

JAP09 Supporting Member

I have one of the older classic 50 2x12 just like you were describing. My friend has a newer one that's a 4x10 combo. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the circuitry, but I can't hear much difference in the sound at all. The only slight difference is that mine has a little more bass and his is slightly more punchy, but I've always attributed that to the 2x12 vs 4x10. Same exact tone quality, sound, etc. just a slightly different frequency response from the different speaker size.

3. sgguitarzz

Thanks. I would tend to agree that the difference you are hearing is more due to the different speaker config than any circuitry affecting tone and frequency response. The one I played really sounded so nice and looked so bad lol. I think people were mistaking it for an ashtray. It is amazing how people will mistreat equipment that doesn't belong to them.

4. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

The circuit hasn't changed. The very first year of production (1991, I think) did not feature an effects loop. The only changes have been cosmetic.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

If memory serves there were some solid state components in the earliest Peavey Classics. Don't quite remember where in the signal path though.

6. sgguitarzz

Thanks guys that is good to know. They have actually gotten a little more pricey new. You can get them for about half price buying used ($300-400 or so).

7. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Nope. The same.

Sent from my HTC using Forum Runner