Peavey Classic 50 vs. Fender Hot Rod Deville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles Member

Your opinions?

I have two classic combos, the 4x10 and the 1x12 C30. I am a musician who is done with expensive amps as I like affordable gear that gets the job done. I have decided not to look at a Crate V-series for now, and I like a warmer huskier overdrive. I also never use anything on the floor as I like to plug straight in. I'm well aware that I prefer the sound of the Peavey classic over the Hot Rod, but I'm considering getting another combo that I like. The Peavey, Crate, and Fender all have solid clean channels in my opinion, but I would like to hear your experiences with the Fender Hot rod deville or deluxe.

Thanks.

2. Miles

Miles Member

3. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Paging Tag... :p

I sure like my HRDx, had it for 6 years. I've done tube changes, swapped speakers etc (all for fun and experimentation). I like the stock speaker quite a bit actually and that's what's in there now.

My old drummer loved that amp more than any other, and I would get compliments on the tone often. I like to use a distortion pedal with it, but theres more to the drive channels than most think. You can turn the master way up and use the drive knob as your volume, or tweak them both til you're happy. The clean is as good as I've ever heard, very 3D. I mainly use humbuckers with mine but I know a lot of Tele players like them too. Chimey, chimey cleans with big bottom. Plenty of volume too.

Lots of pros use them, and I see a lot of them used in Indie rock. The rhythm guitarist in my band just bought one yesterday too. Tonight we'll get together for the first time with two HRDxs. A lot is made of reliability with them but I believe it's only because there are so many of them out there. I've never had a single problem with mine.

This is my positive experience with this amp. No doubt there will be some here that will have negative things to say, but I say trust your ears.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I've played with both and owned a Classic 50 head. I prefer the Peavey.

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I just picked up a Peavey Classic 50 4-10 and think it's a very well built amp.
    My new tubes should be here any day and I hear that will improve the amp.
    Here's my take on the amp . . .it's a solid good sounding amp. To me it sounds way better than the 1x12 Fender (Hot rod ?) but I'm not sure how it would compare to the Fender 2x12. The Peavey has a sort of neutral tone whereas the Fender probably has that Fender tone (for better or worse). The verb on the Peavey is better than I expected as is the build quality. It is not an amp to look doen upon and at the same time I find that I don't get really excited about plugging in to it like I do my other amp.

My 2 cents.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

If you're looking at a Fender Combo, consider the new SuperSonic. It destroys any of the Hot Rod series for sure, has Blackface and Vibrolux modes on the clean, and is made in the USA.

The SuperSonic is by far the best Fender amp I've ever played in it's price range (in fact it's the best Fender amp I'VE ever encounted, but obviously I haven't played them all). I'm torn as to whether nor not it's going to be able to replace my Soldano (considering this for financial reasons) because of course the Fender overdrive channel is not even in the same zip code as Soldano, but for Fender it's killer.

But if you get one, plan on getting tubes for it. Groove Tubes suck, my brand new SuperSonic arrived with both power tubes bad and two bad preamp tubes. But this seems to be common for Groove Tubes for some reason.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I had both Classic 30 and Hod Rod Deluxe. As Im more of a rock player the Deluxe NEVER got used. The distortion channel just stunk.The only way to get a decent distortion is with a pedal in the clean channel and that not why I buy a two channel amp! The Peavey much better suited me. That said Im really digging my CratePalomino V-32. Gets some very nice blues and rock tones. Keep the gain down and crank it a bit and it fattens up nicely. Nice clean channel. The verb is ok nothing special.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Oh I meant to add to my post...I had a HR Deville for about a day before it went right back. The SuperSonic absoutely destroys it on all levels.

I can't say much about the Peavey amps...I tried a Classic 30 for a few minutes in the store and personally felt the Vox Valvetronix was actually better overall but that was just a quickie demo or maybe that Peavey was hosed or something.

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Peavey. I liked the clean sound of both amps, but the drive of the Peavey Classic sounds a lot better than the drive on the Hot Rod, IMO...

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I have never failed to get a useable sound out of a Hot Rod Deville. Maybe not the world's best according to many around here, but good enough to turn heads in a music shop. I used to own one, and only sold it due to some money issuses and gear downsizing. But I acutally miss it.

Funny part is, if I ever demo a guitar in a shop, I will look for a Deville to plug into. They seem to just work for me. The drive channel on the HR Deluxe (which I have also owned) never impressed me. But last month, I demo-ed a 72 Thinline plugged into a Deville, with just a slight amount of drive. I may be crazy, but it sounded great to my ears.

11. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I used my Classic 50 for 2 1/12 years before selling it for a VHT Pittbull 45. The Peavey is a serious work horse and sounds great. Never once did it let me down and I gigged without a back up on many occasions. I can't speak for the Fender, but as far as I'm concerned, the Peavey is a winner!!

IPH

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Supersonic. I have owned a few Peavey Classics and they are not bad but not even in the same ballpark as the SS. The again they are half the price so...

13. Miles

Miles Member

Thanks everyone, a friend of mine is moving to japan and had a Hot rod and a Mesa Rectoverb and gave me the rectoverb for $600. After playing the two and that they were offered for SO cheap, I went with the Mesa. The Rectoverb sounds a lot better than a dual recto, especially with the clean channel, and that it has independent reverb for each channel. He is selling the Hot Rod to his cousin now.

Nothing can replace the classic 50 for me, but when you see two valve amps offered at really low prices, I wanted something in addition to my classics and the GAS just took over.

14. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello IPH,

Regarding the Pittbull, are you using it now for your gigs? If so, regarding volume, can it hang with the C50?

TIA

BB

15. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I recently bought a 2x12 Deville as a backup amp,
    It sounded great in the shop but that night at rehearsal I
    hated it, so much so that I went home to get my rig.
    Even our new vocalist commented on how bad it was compared to my plexi. he said "why the f#@c did you but that for?"
    I returned it the next day.
    Its been years since I plugged into a Classic 50 or 30 so cannot comment on those.

16. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I used a Classic 30 with a Greenback as my main club gigging amp for 3 years in a rocknblues band. I never had a problem with it and never had to mike it. It took pedals well and looked killer to boot,tweed. I put a Duct tape logo on it that said Booteek. It is now retired for a Maz 18 and a Bad Cat Cub 11. Still I would recommend the Peavey Classics over any of the HRDs. Any that I tried one I didnt dig the tones enough to even contemplate buying one.
    IMO

17. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

Miles, you got a steal on that Rectoverb. I was once considering either a Mesa Rectoverb or Lonestar, but since I mainly play in church, the wattages on both just didn't make sense (unlike Capt. Kirk, I did not need more power). And in my opinion, the Rectoverb smashes the Fender HR amps as far as the overdrive is concerned--not a bad clean, either (though not quite classic Fender).

18. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, I used to own one 4 years ago, and kind of re-discovered my love for american drive in this amp, and it's in MINT condition, but I also bought it from a friend, so that's why I got it so cheap. I'm now in contact w/ Bob at Eurotubes to put some JJ's in it, and you're right, they kick the crap out of any fender aside from bassmans and Twin Reverbs which are totally different animals anyways.

Anywho, I'm very happy w/ it and thanks for the feedback.