Peavey Classic 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by golfnut, Apr 27, 2016.

1. golfnut

golfnut Member

So I've been looking for a second amp smaller and easier to move than my 1965 bassman head and 2X12 cabinet for practices and smaller gigs.
    I was in Long and Mcquade here in Canada yesterday and I happened to notice a Peavey Classic 50 It was in near perfect condition. One problem is that its a 4X10. 2 problems with that is its not small or light and generally I don't really prefer 10" speakers. I plugged in to it anyway and I was very surprised how good it sounded. The clean sound was very bassman like. Beautiful cleans and I could see that it would probably take the pedals well.
    The lead channel which is for distortion, I thought was pretty awful. I can't see that being too useful. As well, I thought the reverb on it was pretty bad. It comes with a pretty nice thick amp cover. Feels like leather Which is no big deal as I'd use my Strymon Flint. It comes with a pretty nice thick amp cover. Feels like leather.
    I didn't really consider it until I asked the price. They told me it was $399 (around $300 US). It was a trade in and I could probably negotiate it down to $300 - $350 Canadian. So I'm thinking for that price I can get a backup amp thats similar sounding to my main amp. Yes its heavy but for practices I can leave it there. Its a tube amp 3 12AX7, 4 EL84. Getting that for $300 or just over to me I think would be a steal. Especially with how good the clean channel sounded. Maybe down the road if I kept it I could look in to converting to 1X12 or 2X12.
    I left L&M without grabbing it and went home and read up the reviews and prices. It seems that the Internet buzz considers these Peavey Classics a sleeper amp and they are highly regarded for what they bring for value.
    Prices on Kijiji range from $500 to $1,000 depending on condition. The amp I saw at L&M was in pretty much mint condition. These amps were made between 1991 and 1996. So I called L&M back right away and had them put it on hold for me. I've got 3 days to make up my mind but its looking like I can't really lose by grabbing this amp. Out of all the features only the clean channel is of any use but for $300 or so I think it would be worth it. The thing that always turns me off about 10" speakers is the depth of bass. But of the amps in the past that I never kept were 210 or 3X120. The 4X10's in this amp put out a good amount of bass. Although I had the bass knob just a little past noon where it seemed about right.
    Back in the mid 80's till about 90 I used to play nothing but Peavey as that was the amp of the day for country. I hadn't owned one since.
    If anyone has something to say on this amp, their experience etc, I'd like to hear it.

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I gigged with an early (92-ish) C50 212 for years and it's just a great, workhorse amp. All pedals sound great with it, it sits well in any mix and i also think the Drive channel is highly underrated...my fave setup has always been a nice tele or strat into a compressor and boost into the Drive channel with the gain about halfway up...great semi-gain tone and then back off guitar to clean up...add a delay in the loop,and it's a pretty killer Keith Urban Golden Road type tone...

3. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

i have a 50 410, and love it.

...but for the weight.

4. demea26

demea26 Member

I've gigged extensively with the Peavey Classic 4x10 a few years ago with my Foo Fighters Trib band. Loved it with an OCD stacked with a Fulldrive 2 for dirt through the clean channel. I got to hear my rig from the crowd, which was a rare experience since the band that went on prior to us one show didn't have a rig and asked to play through mine. I thought it sounded great and was really happy about that

5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Just sold a Classic 50 head. I loved it, but it was a first year model and didn't have an effects loop. They added an effects loop the next year. Hated to see it go, but for my band I need an effects loop. So yesterday I found a Peavey Classic 30 head and bought it.

6. lenster

lenster Member

I have a soft spot for the C50...I'll get another one day !!

7. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Great amps. Reliable workhorses that sound great.

8. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

Hello fellow Canadian!

I've never tried the 410 version, but I've had the Classic 50 212, the head, and the Classic 30 (112). The head is out of the equation for your needs...

Not sure where you're located, but here in Montreal you can easily find a Classic 50 212 for 400$ on kijiji, and I just bought the C30 for 300$.

If what you're looking for is better portability, I think you'll regret getting the 410, that thing is HEAVY. Seriously, I would rather lug around the Bassman head (nice by the way, I have a 65 as well :aok) and the 212. So it kinda defeats the purpose...

Honestly, I'd be surprised if L&M accept your offer at 300, so I'm sure you can find a C50 212 (which I'm sure sounds better than the 410 too) for almost the same price.

FWIW, I was in the same situation with the Bassman and cab deal, I got the Classic 30 for portability and I'm really glad I did.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I agree that the OD channel is useless, but I'm surprised you didn't like the reverb. I think it's quite good actually.

9. demea26

demea26 Member

Theres are mods to the lead channel that greatly improves the tone. Replace the C18 cap with a 820pf silver mica cap to tame the highs/harshness

The mods are here

10. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I have the Classic 50 4 x 10. Can't go wrong. They are good cheap reliable amps. Sound great in a mix. And the drive channel is pretty good once you get it dialed in right. Way better than fender drives in comparable amps.

I think $350 Canadian is a good price for this amp. I paid $400 used for mine probably 10 years ago.

As far as the depth of bass - sure that is one of the things with the 10' speaker. But put that amp in a band mix, and it will cut through like a hot knife through butter. It's funny when I play my 4 x 10 by myself, I am never that wowed by it. . . But put in the mix, with some tight bass, and it just shines.