1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

peavey classic 50...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tweeks5, Feb 16, 2009.

1. tweeks5

tweeks5 Member

hey gents,
    i have a stock peavey classic 50 and im purchasing a jj retube kit for it from eurotubes, as well as buying a 30 watt alnico weber blue dog and 30 watt alnico silver bell. ive heard great things about them, and i love the compression from alnico speakers at high volumes. the stock el84 tubes are very harsh at higher levels. my question is does anyone have this configuation and if so, is it smooth and warm, because the type of tone im after is a cross between brian mays cleans with his vox ac30 at lower volumes and eddie van halens overdriven sound on the first few vh albums, im hoping this will achieve some combination of that. id love to hear from anyone who knows any info on the topic

2. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

i HATE JJ TUBES ON THE PREAMP OF THE CLASSIC SERIES-GO POKING OVER AT THE PV FORUMS-YOU'LL FIND THE SAME RESPONSE

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Jj's will work just fine.The speakers will likely be a huge improvement in tone.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Bob

5. joel98z

joel98z Member

They will be a huge improvement. I had GreenBacks in my Classic 50 and loved it.. I also had a full set JJ's and it really sang..

6. tweeks5

tweeks5 Member

thanks guys, feedback is appreciated. also would the celestion greenback speaker sound like webers silver bell. ive read somewhere that they do sound somewhat similar....

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I would personally go with a pair of Eminence Private Jacks. They are rated 50 watts each and will get you a 100 watts, to be safe. They sound great, I like them better than the Celestion greenbacks....can't say that about most of the other Eminence speakers though.

You may want to check out the Governors as well, or Tonespotters, possibly the Canabis Rex (much better than the Tone Tubbies).

The Mojotone BV-25M is also a great greenback speaker, but still only 25 watts.

Scumbacks, Scumnico's, G12-65 = $$$$

The Webers are good, I've only had a ceramic Silver Bell which I didn't really care for.

8. tweeks5

tweeks5 Member

anyone know any good preamp tube combinations that would allow me to drive the clean channel in nice creamy distortion, so i could go from clean to dirty just by changing my volume pot on my guitar instead of changing channels?

9. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Nope.It's the circuit that does that.With some fiddling on the pre and post gaine controls you may get close to that.