Peavey Classic 50

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jeffhef, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I have a friend who has a Peavey Classic 50 410. It's at least 8 years old. He loves the overdrive sound but would like it to be a little more versatile. I've never played one of these but have played the 30. It's my understanding the 50 is 4 EL84's with 3 12AX7's. I assume it's solid state rectifier.

Are there any well known mods for this amp?

My initial thoughts are...

- Lower gain preamp tubes...maybe even 5751's.
    - A good matched quad of J.J. EL84's.
    - Speakers...recommendations? Any Emminence 10's that stand out? Weber Blue's?

Goal: A good clean tone with clean headroom. Good breakup at higher volumes.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeffhef

2. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Blue Guitar

Here are a few mods for the Classic...these have been around a while, and I've heard they are cheap/relatively easy....

[disclaimer] I haven't done these myself, but would, if I still owned one. Take all the normal safety precautions...use Google for tons of 'amp safety' guidelines. [/disclaimer]

Slick51

3. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I had just been on BG and completely missed this. Have you heard an amp with the 5F6A mod? That's an interesting idea. Basically he's rewiring the preamp to 5F6A along with a a few other mods. Doesn't look like he's touching the power section. So it'd be like dropping a quad EL84 power section into a 59 Bassman in place of the 5881 power section. Right? That's gotta just scream.

Also, I notice in the original mod he mentions dropping a 5751 in V1 to clean it up. This is cool stuff.

jeffhef

4. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Jefhef

I haven't heard that particular mod, but I agree the concept is great. Are you going to do any of the mods?

Later
    Slick51

5. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

It's up to the owner of the amp. I'm just helping him out. The Bassman mod is pretty extensive. I'll definitely give him the option. I'd like to hear it. And...I think it'd possibly do what he wants.

jeffhef