• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Peavey Classic...British or American Voiced Speaker?

Boltagon

What do you say Classic series loyalists?

Do you use a British or American voiced speaker if you don't use the stock?

Last edited:

Black_Label

American. But it's a really well rounded amp that does a lot of things well. I think you could use either British or American speakers and be happy. 10" alnico golds would sound pretty awesome.

jdel77

Got a UK G12-75T in my early USA Classic 30.
Sounds great.
Today I ran it through my cab with 2 more 75's and 2 Vintage 30's in an X.
It was awful.
Sounded like a plug in.
Go figure.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I'm currently using a pair of Jensen Electric Lightnings (12s) in my Lopoline 212 cab (about the same dimensions as the EVH 212 - compact height/width, but deep) with my Classic 50 head.
It could very well be the cab, but that setup has a lot of low-end. Not sure if I'm keeping the head, but the clean channel is very nice with humbuckers; I can see why people say it's very 'boutique' in nature.
The lead channel is a bit brighter, but I've gotten a little used to it. (it's not the speakers)

If I were to swap out speakers today, I'd go with a set of Warehouse's British line: either the Retro 30, or the British Lead for more mids. I think with the EL84 power section, it lends itself closer toward those tones.

e???

They use el84's though. Maybe an American voicing with british tubes then? I think they sound closer to Vox than Fender though.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Mine has a thick, warm clean tone, not bright/spanky like a BF Fender. More mids.

Loudguitar

I have a 1995 Classic 30. Bought it new 20 years ago with the 112e extension cab for $550! Replaced the stock speaker (this was before the Blue marvel) with a British made Celestion V-30. Re-tubed with Tesla JJ EL-84s and EHX 12-AX7s. Became a totally different amp. The V-30 sounds very nice.

padavis

I dont feel like these are Vox-y. Maybe Marshall-y in a way but waaay more Peavey-y than anything. American as a Quarter Pounder.

I forgot to add -- I liked the Blue Marvel. The Black and Gold labeled Fender Eminences in Hot Rods and the Blue Marvel are GOOD speakers! Once they're broken in they're really really not too bad at all!

Last edited:

Boltagon

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming.
I am curious as I look at speakers as to player's opinions. I'm trying to compliment the circuit and not go against it's essence.

Last edited:

donnievaz

How did you like the clean tones in the Eminence Private?
Now that you mention it they weren't quite as crystal clear but I hardly ever play clean and that doesn't really matter much to me. The overdrive tones were greatly enhanced though.

DaveKS

Go with a speaker that kind of straddles line...

WGS ET 65
Celestion V type
Alltone/reverend 1250/12100.

ledzep618

I've tried a few speakers in mine....

Eminence Cannabis Rex - Sounded okay clean, did not sound good at all with any distortion. Worse than the Blue Marvel.

WGS ET65 - Sounded really wonderful for the 5 minutes it worked. Unfortunately I got the amp off Ebay with this speaker loaded in and during shipping the voice coil must've gotten shifted or something because around because the speaker shortly died.

WGS Reaper 30 watt - Had this laying around and it went in after the ET65. It sounds great, possibly better than the ET65, it's a bit more aggressive though so it depends what you want. Sounds very nice clean and phenomenal dirty. So good in fact that every time I am tempted to buy a new speaker to try out I play the amp for a few minutes and GAS is cured. My only hesitation is that it's rated for the RMS power rating of the amp. The compression from working the speaker so much is great, but I worry sometimes about blowing it. I don't get the volume about 5-6 on the normal channel usually though, so I think it should be okay.

Boltagon

Looking closely at Warehouse Guitar Speakers G12 and G12/S both of which are Fender Jensen types.

Anyone tried?

Trending Topics