Peavey Classic guys...another speaker swapping thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by david(j), Dec 17, 2009.

1. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

so i've got the wgs green beret in my classic 30 at the moment. distortion sounds are very happening. nice. however the cleans are not what i'm after at all.

i've got an eminence wizard in a closed back avatar contemporary extension cab that i'm thinking about swapping w/the gb.

basically i'm looking for a fuller clean tone with better bass response.

right now my strat sounds pretty thin on the clean channel unless i crank the thing to the verge of breakup, and that's usually just too loud for practices, and way too loud for most gigs where it'll get mic'd.

thoughts?

2. kayaktim

kayaktim Member

Have you tried running it with the extension cab and the amp speaker together? Make sure the Wizard is 16 ohms. When running the ext cab the amp switches to 8ohms, and the sound improves overall, I think. Or you can disconnect the speaker wires in the amp and run them directly to the Avatar cab. That will let you know how that speaker performs on its own (and the amp runs at 16 ohms).

Also, do you keep your Strat's volume pot on 10? Try turning the amp up a bit (say 5-6) then turn the guitar volume pot down to 8-9. That lets you run the amp a bit hotter to fatten the sound without blasting your band mates off the stage.

3. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

thanks for the reply and suggestions.

yeah the wiz is 16 ohm, so it should be good. i've run them together in the past and been pretty happy with the results, but i can't help but think that the wiz might go better in the amp itself and the gb might benefit from the closed back cab...?

guess it's experiment time!

4. kayaktim

kayaktim Member

I've been thinking of trying a greenback in a closed cab, too, to make a nice compliment to my BV30H in the open cab. Let us know how it works out...

Anyone out there pair a G12H30 with a Greenback in a Classic 30?

5. dughaze

dughaze Member

The Classic 30 is a great little amp but it has it's limitations. Like every tube combo I've owned, it is prone to tube rattle as I added bass to fatten the sound up. Lesson learned, don't turn the bass up too much, so sometimes things are a little thin.

I've got a Green Beret in a Classic 30 and the gain is great but that darmed flubby low end is there. The cleans are really good to me with this speaker but I have a distorted sense of clean anyways (I make funny). I like the grit as I turn it up on the clean channel.

I wonder if you aren't used to the punch of your closed back cab and not being able to get that same punch in the combo's open back is what you are missing

I had a Swamp Thang in there and did not like it but it was a tight speaker. I have been wanting to try a Wizard or a G12H30'ish speaker in it myself.

6. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

I'll vouch for the Green Beret in a closed cab with a C30 - sounds great! So, swap them and tell us how the Wizard sounds. :)