Peavey Classic series vs Tarynors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hellbent, Feb 24, 2008.

1. hellbent

hellbent Member

I am pretty much stuck between these three amps:

- Peavey Classic 30/50

- Traynor YCV Blue Series (the standard YCV's sounding to muddy to me when dirty... anyone else agree?)

- Traynor YCS Series

I'd be playing a wide variety of classic rock, alternative, etc... no metal or anything overly heavy. I play stuff like Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, SRV, Weezer, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, U2, Guns 'N' Roses, etc...

Can anyone offer any opinions, comparisons or shortcomings of these amps that might help me make a decision? Opinions on which has a better clean? Better dirty channel? I have not heard the YVC Blue or YCS amps as no one around here has any in stock, but they seem to be praised as a Marshall sounding gain, as are the Peaveys.

PS - If I got a Peavey, I would be getting the tube guard, and tube tamer.

Also.... is the Peavey Classic 20 all it's cracked up to be? I have a chance to pick on up for about $280 in excellent condition. Good deal? Is the tone worth the lack of versatility (only one channel)?

Thanks!!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Most of the bands you listed use single channel amps and control the gain with their guitars. If this is something you are willing to do, single channel amps can be quite versatile.

I have used a Peavey Classic 20 and 30 before. I think the Classic 30 would be a better match. I think the Classic 20 needs an extension cab to loose the "boxiness". The Classic 30 can be fine on its own, but does well with another cab as well.

As far as the Traynors go, I have limited experience with those, but they look like a good deal.

Another route to consider would be a handmade amp. Ceriatone amps does some hand wired tube amps for a very reasonable price. I have the 18 watt TMB Ef86 and it would be a great match for most of the bands you listed. Might have a bit of trouble keeping up with Weezer tones without a pedal. The amp also doesn't have an effects loop, so the Edge tones may be a problem for you. But Ceriatone is very flexible and may be able to wire up an effects loop for you.

Good luck

dk

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traynor 50s are better than the Peavey. Peavey is better than the Traynor 40 and 20.

4. hellbent

hellbent Member

Is the fact that the classic 50 has 2x12" speakers and the traynor 50 blue has only 1x12" a big deal?

5. Snakum

Snakum Member

For the styles of music you mentioned my vote would be the Classic 30 with a tube and speaker upgrade. With a Strat, the Classic 30 can be turned up loud enough to provide an excellent SRV singing/sustaining clean when the power tubes start cooking nicely. And with a greenback-inspired speaker, plugging in a humbucker-equipped guitar and switching to the dirty channel yields a nice classic rock tone, which can be made even better with a cheap boost like the Bad Monkey (The Monkey worked well for goosing the cranked clean channel, too, for even more sustain when in SRV mode). The Classic 50 is just too loud to get the power section going, and will require pedals for both sounds, though it, too, is an awesome amp.

The YCV Blue's EL-34s just don't give up that wonderful clean sustain when cranked that the Classic does. It's just not in there, no matter what tubes or speakers used. However, the YCV Blue does yield a better British crunch than a stock Classic 30. A Les Paul into a cranked Blue with an Eminence GB12 or Private Jack speaker is a "baby hotrodded JCM".

The 6L6-based Traynors are great for cranked blues and country, but just never seemed as versatile as the Peavey Classics to me.

6. joel98z

joel98z Member

I have a classic 50, and was looking at the traynors at the time I purchased mine. Classic 50 is a good amp, lots of headroom on the clean channel and can get very dirty.

IMHO the blue marvel speakers in mine are horriable it has a really harsh and brittle sound when the gain is cranked. I am going to put a V30 and G12H30 in it to hopefully smooth it out.. So if you get a Peavey classic 50 you may want to upgrade the speakers for a better tone.. Some people love the Blue Marvels. But from what I understand they are made by many diffrent manufactures so the quality of them can vary..

From what I remember the Tranoys came with a V30.

7. hellbent

hellbent Member

Thanks very much guys...

Snakum.... what would you compare the clean on the Traynor Blue to? I have a Peavey 5150 combo right now, and find the clean sound boring, no life to it. Would the Blue clean be much better than the 5150?

That's also what I was thinking about the Classic 50, that since it would mostly be for playing at home, I might not be able to get a good tone out of it playing with the volume on 1 or 2 to really get it going lol but I read that it is built much better than the C30 (C30's cabinet rattle, dinky transformers, internal fuses, etc)

Do you guys have any experience with the Classic 20? Is there any reason besides coolness factor to buy it over the C30? Tone differences?

Thanks

8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive got a classic 50 right now. By no means will I say its the best thing out there but I have bought, returned, sold, rebought and resold many amps in the last few years and found myself always wanting to go back to the classic 50. Ive actually returned the classic 50 twice in my search and once returned found myself wanting it back. I guess I just had to spend the time with the other amps to really answer my own questions and settle my curiosity. Its a great amp, versitile, plenty powerful enough for my needs, sounds great being a 2x12. I did upgrade the tubes to JJ's and added NOS tubes in the preamp but never really gave a speaker change much thought. Maybe some day. Im tired of looking for "that sound". I just want to get back to playing the guitar.

9. hellbent

hellbent Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I totally forgot to add something, though it might be implied already. I need the amp to be VERY single coil friendly, as I am looking for one to get a great strat neck pickup sound.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Both work well with single coils and humbuckers.

12. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive never tried my classic 50 with single coils,, I only use buckers.
    Ive read that the classic series to some sounds better with single coils, so liking the sound as much as I do only using buckers must mean its something else with SC's. Obviously its all subjective though.

13. hellbent

hellbent Member

Were there any changes with the new generation Classic 50 and 30? Any advantage the old ones have over the new ones or vice versa?

14. joel98z

joel98z Member

The only major changes I know of are cosemetic.