1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Peavey classic VS. Crate V-series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles Member

I have 2 peavey classic amplifiers right now. The 50 watt 4x10, and the classic 30 combo. I think they're great, and I am one who likes to find good tone in affordable places as I have been done with Boogie and Marshall now for almost a year.

How does the Crate VFX 5212 (50 watt, 2x12) sound in comparison to the Classic 50? I'm not thinking of selling my classics, but I am thinking of purchasing a Crate V series amp at some point.

The ultimate determining factor will be trying a V-series out at some point, but I've been interested in them for the past few weeks and I'm curious to see what other people have experienced.

I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Go try it ASAP!! I tried the V30/32 and it DID NOT replace my Classic 30 w/G12H30.

3. dazco

dazco Member

Had a VC 30 and tried the new one you mentioned but neither would replace my C30. The biggest difference that makes it a no brainer for me id that the C30 is a far more consistant amp when it comes to how much they vary from room to room. The crate would sound great one nite and ass the next. I never giiged with the newer model, but just playing thru it it just didn't compare to my C30 even tho i really wanted it to because i wanted a second amp.

That said, YMMV of course, plus my C30 is modded. But even a stock C30 IMO is the better amp. I get better in between sounds which is where i play mostly. The right tubes and speaker in a C30, even un modded is a thing of beauty.

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Just my .02, but I'd look at the 30w models over the 50w. They sounded smoother to my ears(i.e. not fizzy). The tone tubby upgrade is definitely advantageous too.

5. Miles

Miles Member

If you're referring to the Palomino amps, I have tried one, and I wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I am a classic 30. The Peavey is a richer sounding amp than the Palomino.

Do the VFX 50 watters essentially sound like the Palominos?

As far as mods, the only thing I did was change to JJ tubes in the classics, I tried copperheads and a texas heat in my classics, and it just didn't compare to the actual Blue Marvel, and I was knocked over when I came to that realization.

6. Miles

Miles Member

Anyone else??

How do the Crate V-series amps compare as far as overall reliability? I've been researching and have found that they sometimes have issues, whereas the classics are so reliable.

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I didn't care for the 50w model. It may have been the speaker not being broken in, or something, but it didn't have nearly as nice of a tone. I haven't A/B'd with the C30, but the V30 I heard was very nice and chimey. A buddy of mine has a Peavey Delta Blues which is very nice sounding(not sure how different it is to the Classics).

8. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I used to have a Classic 50 2X12 and it was a very good, reliable amp. I re-tubed it with some JJ tubes and it sounded much better than with the stock Sovteks. Still, the Classic 50 just didn't deliver the type of tone I was looking for from an EL84 based amp. I sold the C50, and later on bought a blond Crate Vintage Club 30 used. The VC 30 I have is very responsive to tube and speaker upgrades. I re-tubed it with 4-Polam/Telam NOS EL 84's, and a variety of NOS pre-amp tubes ranging from 12Ax7's to a GE 5751, to a Sylvania 12AT7. The amp sounds clearer and much warmer now, with a really nice growl when pushed. The stock Crate speaker is really an Eminence GB12 that sounds quite good, however I've been playing the amp through a 2X12 cab loaded with Celestion G12H30's. I don't have to do another thing to this amp. It covers the ground from clean and clear to warm and bluesy w/mild OD, to Plexi-like full OD. The reverb, while not a Fender, is quite good and somewhat "Fender-like" in tone.

I have heard where some have complained about reliability problems. I've also heard stories about no problems after years of use. I havent had any problems at all, so I'm satisfied.

BTW: I also own a Vintage Club 20 with a 12" speaker and reverb. That's how much I like this series of amps. It's a screamer. It'll get a little more edgy than the VC30, but with equally great clean tones..

9. david henman

david henman Member

...i recently had an opportunity to a/b the two amps in a music store. the classic 30 had a warm, inviting personality, and made me want to own one. the crate v series just sounded like every other amp in the store.

-dh

10. Miles

Miles Member

Could you please elaborate?

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I had a Classic 30. Now have a Crate V-32. Both have great distortion. The Crate is better for that "cranked amp" sound when ,well, cranked. My classic 30 used to turn to mud-not the Crate.Part of it could have been the Classid 30's stock speaker though.Also The V-32 has a definately better, more sparkly ,clean channel.Both reverbs suck. If I had to own one it would be the Crate although the Classic 30 comes in a close second.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thats interesting thats exactly how I felt about the Crate V-32! I bought one on the spot!:)

13. stump

stump Member

I owned the VFX 5212 and currently own the C30. I've heard of reliability problems but didn't own the VFX long enough to experience one I guess. The Crate sounded pretty good but not as rich as the Peavey. When I got the master volume up to about 5 on the there was a lot of noise even without the effects engaged. I changed out all of the tubes and it really didn't make a difference. The Peavey sounds considerably better and is less money especially if you can get a used one.

14. uberpict

uberpict Member

I like my VC5115, sweet chimey tone but had to make some upgrades before it really opened up and sounded really good. NOS preamp tubes, JJ EL84's plus a vintage speaker; went from a 7 to 8 tonewise. The speaker swap was amazing, really cut the harsher top end and smoothed out the response and feel of the amp; put it up near the 9.5 mark, IMHO. I played my friends C30 and thought the Crate was marginally better side by side each with stock components. That was just personal preference for the sparkle the Crate has, almost Voxish in tone. The Peavey, to me, seemed to growl more like a Marshall but not as full sounding as a Marshall. Possibly with new tubes and speakers it would open up as well.

The Peavey will be much more reliable than the older Vintage Club series but the newer V-series probably has many of the bugs worked out. Mine eats power tubes pretty badly, the filaments start sagging and shorting out, new tubes and it's fine. The transformer has held up well even with the few shorts it's gone through so I don't think they have scrimped there. Need to have the cathode resisters changed to bring the bias down, I think. Overall they're comparable but I believe it boils down to personal preference for the tone of either. ;)

15. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Mileage varies betweens posts but I disliked the old Peavey Classic series with the tweed covering. Nice cleans but it has an annoying fan running (on the head version I tried) and the high gain tone was not as open sounding as the Crate. I wound up with the VC3112b and love it. I have now owned it for four years, I am the second owner. It has been a workhorse even ran a bass into it wide open with our band after we auditioned bass players that didn't bring a rig. It sounds even better now the speaker is half blown, I mean broken in. I am running the stock GT replacements in it and never had a lick of trouble. The peavey has more compression to my ears and was not as open sounding as the Crate. My .02 cents. Either way there both good amps you just have to let your ears decide.

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How modded is your C30?

17. Miles

Miles Member

Probably modded speaker and tubes, that seems to be the standard with most classic users.

18. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

No, dazco modded the circuit a bit too. I remember when he did it.

19. dazco

dazco Member

I posted about it in another thread. It's cathode biased, the input is fenderized, and C4 swapped with a 680 or 820 PF. (can't rmember which but either works about the same) Tubes and speakers help a lot, but nothing like the cathode bias mod and the C4 swap. Fenderized input helped too, but i seem to recall it didn't make a lot of difference like the rest. Anyways, see ther best amp under $400 thread and i describe what you need to do and i linked the mod GIF in one of my last posts there.

20. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

You know, I think I like it when people talk down the older VC 30's reliablity....keeps the price down on the used market for those of us who've had great luck with them...;)

Good tubes and a good speaker (or two) is all it takes to really enhance their tone. :AOK