Peavey Deuce Biasing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mtm105, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

I put new Sovtech 6L6 tubes in my old Peavey Deuce. I did not get it biased. I don't experience any problems. What is the cost for having it biased? There is a pro shop in Nashville on 250 Cowen which will do it, this shop by the way is located in a warehouse area by the football arena and is home to a very very large recording studio featuring every artist known to man. Neil Young was recording there while I dropped of a practice amp under warrenty.

The Peavey Deuce doesn't have a very distinguished reputation, because it is tied in with all of the other Peaveys produced during the 70's. This is the same amp Skynyrd used on tour for One More for the Road. This is arguably one of the top ten albums ever produced.

My question is, "Why isn't the Peavey Deuce in high demand, like the Ibanez TS, or 59 Les Paul?" If it produced "swamp tones" and it was a very strong influence in Southern Rock, then why can't I get a Marquee price for it if I sold it? Like $10,000?

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

What's Southern rock?

:D

3. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

ITS ROCK ROCK.

-Greg Allman

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

Just kidding, I used to play Free Bird in a really bad cover band ... well, everyone would yell "play Free Bird!"

:dude

My Peavey is fixed bias, and it' been years since I had one done ... I think it was in the $35 range.

5. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

LS had an endorsement with Peavey, hence the stage packed full of them (in white, no less). I don't believe LS decided, that of all the amps available, Peavey was the one that produced the sounds they were looking for. But Peavey has made some fine amps over the years. A good value.

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I used to jam with a guy who played a Deuce, and I always liked that amp

/rick

7. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

This is where I am confused....the sound they were looking for shattered any expectations of record sales. I believe that it was the first double live album to ever go Platinum. I believe Frampton rode on the coat tails of that success. That "sound" is what made them successful, the warmth of tone on Tuesday's Gone in unparalleled. You can't find tones like T for Texas anywhere.

I know Gary plays a 160 Watt Mace head, built before the Deuce.

I am curious what a Deuce would sell for in good condition.

Also, I know almost nothing about cabs. What would be a good match? Just any old Marshall, a New Crate? Peavey?

8. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

$10,000

;)

Seriously though probably $250-300

Skynyrd has held on to their old Peavey Mace's and still use them to this day because they sound great and are durable.

But I heard LS on tour last year and I think they were using new Peavey XXX and it didn't sound good to me, thin & buzzy with no definition, but that may have had more to do with the sound system and sound guys (they must have been idiots). Horrible overall sound (and I had luxury box seats)

The Allman Bros came on next & sounded better with D Trucks using a Fender Super Six (Twin Reverb essentially that I believe was re-built by Lord Valave) and W Haynes using a Marshall (a re-issue SL I believe) head.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Come on , everyone knows Skynyrd had Marshalls behind their Peavey Stacks!

I had a Mace in my formative years, worst distortion I've ever heard. My guess is, if Skynyrd did use them, they left the gain almost off, and cranked the master.

10. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Skynyrd really did use Peavey quite a bit & it's been well documented through the years. So did 38 Special for that matter along with other Southern Rock acts at the time, Jeff Carlisi used the Mace on all the 38 Special stuff I believe, "Hold On Loosely", etc. I definitely like the tones on Skynyrd's live album with the Mace's. Not the tone to die for obviously. I remember hearing their version of "Crossroads" and thinking that Clapton's tone was a lot better.

Even though the Peavey have "Pre" and "Post" controls those amps weren't really "distortion" amps. You do have to crank 'em to get a decent rock tone. And at 160W RMS that's a lot to crank - But probably not any louder than an old Marshall Super Lead really (you have to crank those too ;) )

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I like 38 Special's tones.... I just wouldn't use a Mace to get 'em! ;)

12. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Regarding your Duece, it wouldn't surprise me if it had a fixded bias. Ask on the peavey forum, the tech guys check it daily.