Peavey Falcon - cheap, but quite impressive

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, May 23, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I just scored a Peavey Falcon today off CL for $150. I read up on them before and it looked like the relatively earlier ones were pretty solid guitars, so I checked this one out and my initial impression was that it was resonant and felt good and had been played a lot, which I always take as a good sign with any guitar. It's a little on the heavy side, but not so bad that I can't stand it.

I did some digging and this one is USA made in 1990. Evidently the 80's ones are more sought after, but I decided to let my ears tell me what I thought.

I did some clean up on the guitar, cleaned up the electronics a bit and tossed on some new strings and spent about an hour playing it through my Carr Rambler. Very impressive for an inexpensive instrument. CTS pots, decent wiring, good hardware all around... The pickups actually sound pretty darn good and I think I'll use them for a while before making any decisions on trying out some Lollars or something more interesting. The guitar just rings like a bell. It's got a very well worn, slightly flamey maple neck that's very comfy, perhaps a c-shape, similar to my CS 63 tele. I feel like I have to be mistaken, but I think the body may be one piece as I can't find the center seam for the life of me.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with such a modest instrument. I've got an 2000 American Series Strat that weighs a little less than this, but I can't say it wipes the floor with the Peavey at all. The more I play old Peaveys the more I regret all of those years thinking they had to suck. I missed a lot of golden cheap guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. el greco

el greco Member

Cool guitar !
    Never had a Falcon but I did get a chance to play a couple of those in the past. $150 for one of those is a steal. Congrats.

3. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Very cool.

I have a Peavey Predator (Made in the USA) that is a very good cheap strat. It has a thin neck that has grown on me and is resonant as hell. I replaced the stock 500k pots and crappy pickups with Duncan Antiquities, and I would say that my Peavey competes nicely with $1000 Fenders.

4. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

BTW, do you know what I need to tweak the truss rod a bit on the Predator. I'm guessing it's the same truss rod nut as yours, but it requires a "hollow" allen wrench, and I'm not sure what size I need, or what they are called.

5. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I'm not sure about the truss rod yet as I haven't done any adjustment. There's also a little hole on the neck plate that I was wondering about that I assume is for adjustment as well, but not certain.

Here's some better pics of the body. Can anyone see a grain-line?

When I cleaned under the pickguard last night the cavity showed off the poly finish process - they spared no poly on this guitar;) It still feels nice and resonates though, so no love lost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Not bad...but those volume/tone knobs gotta go...hahaha!

7. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

You might be on to something:rotflmao