peavey firenza p90 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, May 5, 2008.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

anyone... do you think it can be a solid gigging guitar.. or is not going to cut it? just wondering

2. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I almost bought one those! It was used and ended up selling for $200 the day before I went there to buy it. Major mojo on that one. The P90s were fat and rude and the guitar played superbly.

Many of the guitars in my collection cost way more than the Peavey, but I gots ta tell ya, that P90 Peavey ripped! I would gig with it. Not only does it sound and play great but, all the guitar snobs will be sitting there all amazed that you're barkin' out such great tones from a Peavey!

3. neastguy

hey, sounds good.

4. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Those are outstanding and grossly underrated guitars. They're really top-quality instruments. The P-90s that come with it are a bit generic sounding (although they're better than some out there) so you can improve them by swapping the pickups, but even if you spend twice as much on the pickups as you do on the guitar you'll be way ahead of the game.

5. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

Terrific guitar. USA made, and the man who designed it later designed the Wolfgang (it has the same intelligent truss rod adjustment) and worked in Fender's Custom Shop.

It is my favorite P-90 guitar of those I have owned. Unlike some similar guitars, the middle position does cancel hum.

6. neastguy

hmmm maybe I'll give one a go... if I can get a mahogany one w/ p90's for under $300... I might snatch one up... I've been waiting for a hamer special for a long time.. getting impatient

7. billy budapest

billy budapest Supporting Member

I picked up a Firenza p-90 a month or two ago for $240 and could not be more impressed with its build quality and playability. This is an outstanding guitar that - true to form - generally doesn't get the huge respect it deserves owing to the name on the headstock.

Eventually the world will come around to see these guitars for what they are - great American-made instruments.

The pickups, by the way, are made by Gotoh in Japan - but not really. They are sourced from a boutique manufacturer called Kaihatsu Music Shokai. This explains why the pickups are marked "KMS" on the back. In Japan, Gotoh markets these soapbars separately, putting them in a fancy box and retailing 'em for $100 a piece.

In my case, the neck pup is brilliant but I'm considering replacing the one in the bridge.

bb

8. neastguy

got pics

9. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

How thick are the necks on these?

10. billy budapest

billy budapest Supporting Member

With pleasure![​IMG]
    bb

11. neastguy

ill be on the look out

12. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Is that Charlie, or Chip, or someone else?

13. el greco

el greco Member

U.S. Peavey's are great guitars.

14. neastguy

i may have started firenza fever

15. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I recently met Hartley Peavey at Orange County Choppers. They were in the process of designing that, uh, concept guitar last year, (year before?) It's all a blur now. Nice guy anyway. Some very cool guitars in the room as well.

16. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Is that a 24.75" scale length guitar?

17. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

25" scale. I found one for $100 a while back. NOS that had been in the store for a few years. Great guitar. Solid build, excellent playability and the Gotoh P-90's actually sound very nice. If you can find one, I highly recommend checking it out. Like the old T-60's and to a lesser extent, the T-25's, the P-90 equipped Firenza's are starting to be recognized as quality instruments. You just have to play one to see if it speaks to you.

18. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I have had all 3 models of the USA Firenza line and each is fantastic.
    Be advised that it does have a flat 15" radius fingerboard, and 25" scale... not a bad thing at all, but does feel different.
    One of the best buys out there IMHO.
    My JX (S/S/H, Basswood) is one of my most resonant guitars... just sings

HJ

19. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Is this thing on? :cool:

20. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

Bumping an old thread here......just picked up a new Firenza that has been hanging in a local store for years. The flatter radius is different.....but not in a bad way. The neck pickup sounds fantastic and the bridge is very snappy. For what I have in it the guitar is one of the better deals I've made in a long while.