Peavey guitars : Whats your take on them?

V-Type

Hey guys Ive yet too find a thread on here addressing the Peavey guitar lines other than the EVH Wolfgangs.
I had a Peavey Vandenberg USA for a brief time and stupidly traded it for some PA gear.
Amazing guitar btw.
So much so that I took the plunge on a very similar Peavey V-Type NTB(MIK) for cheap recently.
I gotta say the neck thru gives this style an edge my original didnt have imo. I opted for the non floyd variety and the sustain and tones I am getting from this baby are top notch(Dimarzio Super D and Air Norton set).
A lot of guys are rediscovering the old Peavey T lines as great USA guitars.
Any love for the Peavey's around here?

Last edited:

therhodeo

I have a HP EXP and aside from the pickups being darker than I'd like it plays beautifully.

THebert

Gold Supporting Member
I had a T-60 and it was great except for that huge body. Weighed a ton.

SUBmariner

I have a Razer, a Mystic and a pair of some other pointy 1980s things - Mantis I think it's called. Nice quality, but I haven't really bonded with them much.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
almost every peavey i've picked up in stores and played i thought were good guitars, the necks always felt good to me. i've been thinking of getting one for my son for his first guitar. i think they are good guitars for the money.
a few yrs ago i actually got to sit down and play an EVH wolfgang model (it was white) and wow the neck on those felt great and i loved the size/feel of the body...it was a smidge out of my range, but still a nice guitar....
i almost bought one of the "tele" style ones back in mid-90s-it felt soooo good, probably should have. oh well.
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen

pennylink

I had 1980's T-40 bass for a while. It had more chrome than a Harley and weighed a ton, but what a great sound!

tonydetiger

I've owned two Wolfgangs (1 Floyded and 1 hardtail), a USA Limited ST, and a Generation tele. I was really impressed with all 4 of them. I usually just sold them to try something else, but that's been my story for a few years.

I actually have my eye on a Predator Plus. Inexpensive superstrat that I'm willing to buy just on name. I've yet to play a bad Peavey.

bdegrande

Have a Wolfgang, a Firenza (P-90 version), and a T-60 and like them all a lot except for the weight of the T-60. The Wolfgang has the best pickups for high gain that I have heard, they don't turn muddy as quickly as others, and the Firenza is my favorite of the P-90 guitars I have owned.

Steve_2020

I have a wolfgang special that I got because of the great neck, the pickups and the good deal the seller made me. Really like it for blues rock believe it or not.

I don't use the floyd at all - have it trem-o-no'd. Am on a soft search for whatever US made HP currrently corresponds to the Wolfie in either a hard tail or standard trem version. Most of the HPs I see are too pricey for what I'd be willing to pay tho.

bettset

if it plays well & you get a creative vibe from it--probably a keeper. can always mod it as needed. :munch

Stringz

T-60 was an amazing guitar but weighty as mentioned above, but if you play a Les Paul, you'll be used to it. The T-15 also wasn't bad, almost a shorter scale version of the T-60. The Reactor tele and the Patriot (direct descendant of the T-25, next) were also nice guitars IMO. There was also a T-25 which was similar to a dual humbucker Strat and T-27/T-30 that also had a Stratocaster like shape and pickup arrangement (The T-27 was more like a fat strat, the T-30 had 3 single coils) that I don't think fared very well in the marketplace. Peaveys are a great value for a USA made guitar because except for the T-60 which has a cult status, the rest are usually dirt cheap. Most modern Peaveys are imported now, though.

Last edited:

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Got a USA Reactor (tele) and Predator (strat). Great necks - comfy profile, width, radius and string spacing. Plus a 4-bolt tilt adjustable neck joint that is actually adjustable, usable and stable. The stock pickups look like they are built cheaply but they sound good.

hank

I've always admired Hartley Peavey. I just wish our tastes in design were compatible. I bought a T-60 a few years ago to sell. It had to weigh 12 lbs. ...... without a doubt. Tiny neck ...... just not a balanced guitar.

My hope is that he buys Gibson and uses his management skills alongside Gibson's historical design sense. We might have something then.

blueshawk1

There was also a T-25 which was similar to a dual humbucker Strat and T-27/T-30 that also had a Stratocaster like shape and pickup arrangement (The T-27 was more like a fat strat, the T-30 had 3 single coils) that I don't think fared very well in the marketplace. Peaveys are a great value for a USA made guitar because except for the T-60 which has a cult status, the rest are usually dirt cheap. .
Actually, the T-30 fared a little better than the others, second only to the T-60. All the other models were only produced from 82-83, but the T-30 ran an extra year from 81-83 (with the T-60 having the longest run from 78-86).
It is still possible to find deals on them. I found a T-30 last summer, like new with the Peavey plastic case for 150., but when I recently took an interest in getting another T-guitar, I was looking at prices between 200-300, usually more towards the 300. end. I'm sure looking enough, deals can still be found, but it's getting harder and harder as more and more people are realizing what a sleeper they were, and prices have been going up.

And since these threads are "worthless without pictures", here are pics of my two, the T-30 I got last summer, and the T-15 I got just a couple weeks ago;

johnjd52

In the 80's I bought a T-60 when they first came out. It sounded good and played nice but it was heavy and I hated the headstock and Peavy logo. I also think it was the first American production guitar using all modern construction techniques. I read somewhere it was all CNC machines.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I played the Jerry Donahue signature at the 2009 Dallas Guitar Show and was extremely impressed and quite a looker as well.

Rock Johnson

Count me as a fan. I've had two Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilts - for around $1200, it's REALLY hard to find a better metal / shred guitar. They're rare birds - mahogany body AND neck, rosewood fretboard, maple cap on the body, and a 24.75" scale - basically a lighter, more comfortable Les Paul with a Kahler Spyder trem (double locking, essentially a Floyd Rose variant). Great guitars.

I also had a Korean Wolfgang that sounded and played great. I wouldn't mind having another one. GREAT neck feel, very solid and well-built guitar.

And...as I've said on many other threads, every other guitar builder that uses a CNC machine should bow down towards Meridian, Mississippi three times a day and thank the god of their choice for Hartley Peavey.

BPSUL

I have a late 80's falcon custom. I've tried to replace it with two different fender strats, but ended up selling the strats and keeping the peavey both times. It's build quality is better than my Gibson and that's no lie.

Trending Topics