Peavey guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by droptune, Feb 18, 2012.

1. droptune

droptune Member

I always thought Peavey guitars were junk. They have a new model out that looks interesting. It is the Devin Townsend 7 string baritone. I cant find out on thier site where the guitar is made. It costs $1399 so I was asumming it is US made. Does anyone have experience the Peavey guitars in general?

2. Redbell

Redbell Member

The Wolfgangs were fantastic guitars. I've played a couple of the Jerry Donahue signatures that were very nice as well. There's always a guy or two around that love the old 80's T-series but the best way to know is always to go play a few.

3. el greco

el greco Member

Peavey USA made guitars are quite the opposite of junk. They're good, really good!

4. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I used to love that T-60. It weighted about 60 lbs., but it was a great sounding guitar.

5. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I've got a 1990 Peavey Destiny Custom that I've been playing nearly every day for the last 20+ years. Just a great guitar.

6. fast98dodge

fast98dodge Member

My first guitar was a Patriot in '87. I then got a Vandenberg in '89 and a Wolfgang in '97... All of them great guitars for their price point and all made in the USA...

7. droptune

droptune Member

I found out that this guitar is made in China. Guitar World did a review and they loved everything about it. i guess I have to check it out.

8. gpro34

gpro34 Member

The word Peavey and China in the same sentence still makes me cringe.

9. droptune

droptune Member

Me too. The only reason I dont own the 6505+ combo is because of that.

10. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Just like the big name brands, Peavey makes low end guitars, but, they also make very good guitars. Too often tthe mass merchandiser dealers would only dispay the low end guitars to meet a price point. The good ones are enjoyed by many.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I really like the Peavey Odesy I once had but the neck was not stable enough.

12. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know they made any that light. You must have got lucky.

13. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I was a non-believer until I bought myself a Wolfgang Standard. It is a very, very high-quality guitar.

14. shane88

shane88 Member

i have 2 usa pv wolfs - they're keepers

15. droptune

droptune Member

Well, let me put it this way, Would you buy a Chinese Peavey guitar if you really dug it?

16. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

If you like it, that is all that matters

17. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I have to go on my usual rant every time the name Peavey is brought up! There is no denying Hartley Peavey's importance in the world of gear and the first company to use a CNC router. For ages Peavey made blue collar well made guitars that just never got any respect in the guitar community on a whole. That all changed when they landed the #1 player on the planet one Eddie Vanhalen back in 95 and along with him came -respect. To be honest the respect was merited as the Wolfgang was a top shelf quality guitar. They then opened up a little wicked ass CS that started with 4 guys and started out producing one guitar a day, as that is how precise they were. Anyone here who owns or played a CS Wolfgang can attest to the craftsmanship. This is where I get twisted and some bad business decisions were made. When Eddie parted with Peavey just like he did with EBMM they could have taken the same path as EB, but decided to go in the opposite direction. A company that prided itself on having made in the U.S. opened up a factory in Korea and flushed all that momentum and respect they always seemed to crave down the bowl. The CS soon closed and Peavey today is back to making $300-$500 guitars only in Asia now. The only guitar that is still really relevant are the Wolfgang's due to there association with Ed, but the guitar would still stand on its own as they are that good! Though the T-60 has a loyal following and the Vandenberg's are highly coveted by those in the know as well as quite a few other models, it is a shame when you think=what could of been.