Peavey JSX Mini collosal 5 Watter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by D 2 Z, Jun 28, 2008.

1. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

[​IMG]

Why not much love for this amp? I dont own it but it has good features, effects loop, built in attenuator, line out, tremelo, Extended cab option.

Its a little expensive but it seems like it would a nice option for bedroom players. Is there something i am missing? Is there something bad about this amp that makes it not recommended often? Apparently it gets pretty "warm" cleans.

2. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

3. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

500 new but i think there might have been a price cut

4. jaclo

jaclo Member

I would say the price. It's around 500 bills? Made in China also?? You're paying for JS's name. Look at The Fender Super Champ XD, you can get that for 299. It may be a nice amp, but since Joe has to get some of the action, you have to pay more for it.
    You could buy one of the many 5 watters out there for about 200, and a hotcake, and still have some change. I'm sure the tremolo is digital as well, there's only one preamp tube in there.

The Peavey Royal 8 sells for about 199, the Windsor Studio sells for 399.00, has attenuator as well.

The JSXMC should sell for about 250 or so, not 500.

5. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

this amp is awful. A peavey royal 8 sounds way better.

6. el greco

el greco Member

The JSX Mini is a fantastic little amp. Great tone and you can turn it down to 1 watt with the power sponge and you've got a great bedroom/practice amp. Turn it up to 5 watts, plug it into a guitar cab and it roars. Peavey builds this amp in the USA, not in China.

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

the jsxmc has tremolo, attenuator, speaker compensated XLR out, effects loop, made in the USA, and a weber C8R speaker.

a victoria 518 (i love this amp; not knocking it, just comparing) runs about $900.

i think the JSX is a damn good deal.

:argue

8. jaclo

jaclo Member

I stand corrected. I guess I should know a product before commenting. It is indeed made in the USA, the tremolo is an Optical one not digital and it has some other feautures I didn't know about. Seems pretty cool. I still say it's priced a bit high for a "mass produced" type product. I say that because right now Carvin has on sale the made in USA Vintage 16 for about 379.00.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  9. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

I had picked one up off ebay for 350. Plugged it in and put it back up for sale the same day. If there is one thing I cannot stand in a combo amp is rattles. I guess if you find the noise and solve that issue and load it with pedals it might sound ok but for a cheap practice amp there more out there for the same price that smokes this thing.
    That said I love the JSX head and the 2x12 combo. This is mini is just not worth it.

10. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I've never heard one but I see them sell used for $350 to $400 all the time which seems about right....

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I'm a big fan of Peavey amps but rattles seem to come stock in just about every Peavey combo I have played through. I usually work through each amp looking for the problems, so I can dampen any vibrations. But it is annoying and you've got to wonder why stuff leaves the factory with these sorts of issues.

12. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

Now that I think about it, I had a Delta Blues amp that had terrible rattles. Turnes out the El84's were the culprit. Installed a tube tamer. It helped a lot. Could have been the issue I had with the mini collosal.