Peavey Penta ... anyone heard it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bigredhaus, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

2. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Arguably one of the best looking amps they've made. I'm curious about myself. Anyone else?

3. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I think they may have out-powered their intended market for this amp with the whole 140 watts thing, but I'd definitely like to try one.

4. baron55

baron55 Member

This was supposed to be the George Lynch Brahma amp. But due to differences in how it was to be constructed and James Brown leaving peavey, George abandonded the project just before NAMM.

Now he is working with a Deal on Randall MTS modules.

So Lynch helps create the XXX and Penta for Peavey and has nothing to show. The XXX deal fell through because of his deal with Genz Benz. Peavey did not want him using anything but Peavey cabs.

Oh well.

The Penta is one channel 5 voicings and no effects loop etc. Just a basic amp. It is supposed to be handwired etc. But I guess we will see.

I think Peavey is trying to cash in on the Boutique.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

This amp does not have anything to do with "Maestro Alex Gregory" does it? M.E.

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

For a grand I'd hit it!:dude That's a damn sight cheaper than some amps I've had.......but in the end it wil still say PV on it.:(

7. ned911

ned911 Member

Actually the Penta is pretty close to the Randall MTS in operation. There are 5 different preamp configurations that mimic other amps you just can swap out "modules" like the MTS.

8. rooster

rooster Member

No, I think he's currently embroiled in a lawsuit against Ted Nugent for using the Pentatonic scale. I believe that the Maestro actually patented the number "5", and is currently taking credit for all things related, including the thumb.

rooster.

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I've liked the Peavey amps I've tried but of course they sound better through a cab other than Peavey. Played a JSX through a Krank cabinet and it sounded better than ever. The Penta may sound good but will it draw gearheads away from Soldano, VHT etc? Doubtful.

Talked to Doug Reynolds from Randall last week at my buddy's music store. Randall hired Bruce Egnater to work with Lynch on a hand wired PTP amp which they have started. Egnater designed the head and modules for the RM100.

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

the best possible thing they could do is call the amp the egnater GL or Lynch and totally keep the randall name off the amp.

the collaboration between those two could be very interesting, but the randall name is poison.

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

LOL!

is there really a dude calling himself 'Maestro' ??? :rolleyes:

12. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I played the Penta at the Anaheim NAMM show. The "voicing" knob is pretty interesting. Gives the amp some flavors to work with. It kinda reminded me of the Bogner Metropolis....function wise. If it's priced reasonable and the construction is solid then IMO it will make owners happy. Like the Metropolis for Bogner, I think this may be Peavey's "dark horse" amp....not a huge seller, but highly regarded.

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

:D that is hilarious...

14. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

Yep. Seems like his website is down at the moment, but you can read some info about him here:

http://www.emando.com/index2.htm

He's an advocate of tuning in 5ths, thus the 'Penta' reference.

Chris

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, switchable preamp configurations sounds most like the Trace Bonneville (although that had the cool motorized parts that physically switch around when you change the voicing knob. Not useable in real time but a hell of a way to get Fender, Marshall and high gain voices without compromising.

16. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

James Brown left peavey? Where did he go? He did a great job on the JSX IMO.

17. dazco

dazco Member

I'm more looking forward to the new Valve King at $350 street ($499 list) for a 1-12 combo. According to the hype, which may or may not be just that, "boutique features and tone". They'll be made in china, but if they sound anywhere as near as good as they're making it out to be it could be the best bang/buck amp available. 50 watts/6L6, speaker dampening control, footswitchable gain/volume boost on the lead channel, class A to B sweepable pot, (or may just be a simulation there of, dunno) 2 channels with presence and reverb and buffered loop. Also seperate EQ per channel. Gotta figure being made in china the price is considerably less than it would be if made in the peavey plant. So i'm thinking it would be considerably more than the C30 if made here.In any case i'm dying to hear it.

18. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

Last time I spoke to James Brown, he had left PV and was working for Traynor.

Egnater

19. DC67

DC67 Member

yeah, nice design.

Don

[​IMG]

20. carltonh

carltonh Member

I wonder if the circuit board and guts will be a quality job in the Penta. Has Peavey ever done it right in this area? Will they take a cue from Bogner and THD in this? Eight ball says doubtful.