Peavey "Red Stripe" Bandit VS. Roland Blues Cube Artist - YOU Decide!

FenderGuy53

First, let's HEAR them:

Now that you've decided, let's BUY one:

USED Peavey "Red Stripe" Bandit, $80-150
NEW Peavey Bandit, $399 or less
NEW Roland Blues Cube Artist, $899

Just sayin'... ;)

honeyiscool

If you want a more fair comparison, find a Roland Blues Cube 60 from the 90s. The early Peavey Transtube Bandits are great sounding amps, don't get me wrong, and they record really well. However, they just didn't sound as good at full band volume as other cheap SS amps I was trying out at the time, which includes the Blues Cube 60 (I also had a 30 but the 60 sounds better) and the Peavey Bandit 65. I had a feeling that it's mostly due to the cabinet design. I had the gray stripe Bandit, which more or less is the same thing as the red stripe. The problem with this era of Bandit, IMO, might be the grossly open back cabinet. At higher volumes, I just never really felt the punch. The Bandit 65, despite sounding much less refined at recording volumes, is a better gigging amp because it delivers the goods at higher levels. I've played my fair share of gigs with the Bandit 65 and Blues Cube 30/60. They're both great amps that don't command much on the used market.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Slightly biased - This guy makes a point of saying over and over that he thinks the bandit is better than even boutique tube amps most of the time. He gigs his bandit quite a bit too. So that he has a good tone dialed in on it, and doesn't have a good tone dialed in on the amp he doesn't own is no shock - nor is it a shock that he wants 'his' amp to 'win'.

I've owned bandits myself, and gigged them as well - but no way would I choose it over the BCA.

musicman1

IDK...I have red stripe Bandit and frankly its a really underwhelming amp at best and boarders on sucking in reality..

Ok for practice but not a real world gigging amp for me.

My 1981 Special 130 w a Swamp Thing shreds the Bandit on every level.

Also not EQing an amp and leaving everything at 12 noon doesn't really fairly open an amp up. If it did you wouldn't have or need an eq section.

FenderGuy53

Slightly biased... He gigs it, and doesn't have a good tone dialed in on the amp he doesn't own is no shock - nor is it a shock that he wants 'his' amp to 'win'.

I've owned bandits myself, and gigged them as well - but no way would I choose it over the BCA.
IDK. Shane's been around for awhile and I don't believe that he intentionally biases his videos to favor one piece of gear over another. I think he makes an honest effort to be fair. I don't believe he ever says, "I like this one better" in the video.

You like what you like. No argument here.

Last edited:

FenderGuy53

IDK...I have red stripe Bandit and frankly its a really underwhelming amp at best and boarders on sucking in reality...
Come on, musicman1. Tell us how you REALLY feel.

Hey, everyone likes what they like. Hard to argue that one. OTOH, you don't have to trash the "other guy" to make your point. I GET it.

Well, in the interests of full disclosure, I did NOT like the stock Sheffield 1230's. IMO, those speakers are harsh and brittle in the top end, with poor bass response, and I would agree, "suck in reality". I swapped them out for Eminence Legend V12's, and that brought the Bandits to life.

Cheers
TRJB

bigben55

It's price and perspective. I have 3 amps: '66Super Reverb, Savage Macht12x, and a redstripe Bandit. I'd say they are worth: $1800, $1000, and $150 respectively. For the money, neither of my handwired PTP, NOS tubes sporting amps beat the Bandit. Oh, they beat it, beat the crap out if it, but not for the money or dollar to dollar. Tone per buck is the Bandits forte. No one can watch that video and say the Roland sounded $800 better than the Bandit. No honest person.

FenderGuy53

It's price and perspective. I have 3 amps: '66Super Reverb, Savage Macht12x, and a redstripe Bandit. I'd say they are worth: $1800, $1000, and $150 respectively. For the money, neither of my handwired PTP, NOS tubes sporting amps beat the Bandit. Oh, they beat it, beat the crap out if it, but not for the money or dollar to dollar. Tone per buck is the Bandits forte. No one can watch that video and say the Roland sounded $800 better than the Bandit. No honest person.
I think you nailed it, bigben55. Well said.

Cgkindler

I really do like my Red Stripe Bandit, BUT, I just got a Katana 100 and it slays it (ok, maybe slays isn't quite the right description, however the BOSS definitely sounds better, especially in the higher gain ranges)

Dave_C

I liked the Peavey much better in this demo. The BCA OD was mushy and muddy and the clean tone he had dialed in was still breaking up quite a bit. Not sure if that's the amp's fault or the guitarist's fault though.

Even when he said the amps were dialed in for his ideal OD tone, they sounded WAY different. Once again, the BCA was muddy, mushy and fuzzy and the Peavey sounded pretty balanced, smoother and more articulate. Hard to believe the BCA didn't have room on the knobs to get closer to the better sound coming out of the Peavey.

Trending Topics