Peavey Revalver 4?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by eclipseall, Jul 17, 2019.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Ive used this on and off for a couple years and I really like it mainly because it sounds great and its simple to navigate.

It seems though that the software isn't really evolving. Anyone know what's up with Revalver? New version or update in the works?

Anyone care to share their thoughts on Revalver 4?

eoengineer likes this.
  2. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Revalver 4 is still my favorite modeling. Period. Even after playing through Helix native for the last few months, I plugged into Revalver the other night and instantly thought "this sounds and feels like a real amp" as I started playing.

There is something happening with the way the models feel that makes every other (exclusing axefx, havent used it) modeling technology out there seem like they missed the mark a bit.

This isn't a knock against Helix Native, but I will say that I switch to Revalver 4 when Im mixing down, doing anything I intend to send out for consumption, or tracking something where string feel matters.

The platform has not updated for quite some time. I frankly would not expect much.

dickjonesify and eclipseall like this.
  3. Elric

Elric Member

I consider it dead. If it updates someday, awesome. If not, no loss.

4. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

Same thing happened with 3.5.Nothing happened for years and the out of the blue they announced 4.

5. Elric

Elric Member

It was nowhere near the length of the hiatus it has been on since 4 dropped, IIRC. And the Revalver forum had substantial activity from the dev and people on the beta team as 3.5 developed.

6. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

I never updated to v4, because there were a lot of reports that their copy protection interacted badly with some piece of the OS or environment, causing some kind of serious problem that I don't remember. I didn't hear anything specific about that getting fixed.

Do I gather that you guys using it are doing ok on that level?

eoengineer likes this.
  7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

no problems that I can tell

8. Dave Merrill

Found a reference to those issues. They may not apply to you, obviously, but this is what I was talking about. Multiple people, blocking issues, not just for Revalver, for the machine and its devices.

I see that it's now free, you just need to "upgrade to the latest Amp Store gear when you are ready", but I'm not quite clear on what is and isn't included in the base version.
    - Most of the items in the Amp Store are cabs. Can it use third party IRs?

Besides cabs, the main things appear to be the ACT Combo ("not just an amp model - it's every amp model") and ACT Rack (a "matching EQ").
    - What exactly is the ACT combo? What amps does it come with without it?
    - Don't need a matching EQ, but I do need EQ. I assume it has some, yes? It does host VSTs, and I do have other EQs, just wondering what the deal is.

9. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

The final version of 3.5 was released in January of 2011.Here's the release notes for last 3 revisions:
    ===================================================
    History ReValver Mk II / Mk III / HP / Mk III.V
    Build dates are written "YY.MM.DD"
    ===================================================

* This version.

* (MK III.V) Redhot is hotter by default.

* (MK III.V) Added Redhot IR's

* (MK III.V) Single Tube module is now noise free under all circumstances.

* (MK III.V) Added low, mid, high filters to Convolution reverb

Revalver 4 was released in August 2014,which is over 3 1/2 years since the final 3.5.The last update of 4 was July 26th 2016 I believe,so just under 3 years so far unless there's been another update since July 2016,which I thought there was in 2017 but I don't see it.

10. primemover12

primemover12 Member

ReValver's still my go-to as well. I actually love the licensing scheme since, as long as I bring my USB key and my little iRig HD 2, I can run it on whatever computer I have access to at the moment. I might switch to Mercuriall Spark or S-Gear for specific songs, but my base lead tone is always ReValver 4's 6505.

I emailed to ask them about future updates a few months ago. What I got back was, basically, an apology and hint. The Peavey employee who responded basically said that their development team is quite small and, as a result, they do not do as many periodic releases. He also said that it was an exciting time because they are nearly ready to release the next ReValver product. I am personally hoping that it's version 5, but the phrasing made me think it might be an iOS version or some hardware instead.

EDIT:

I found the email reply. Here's what it says...

Thank you so much for your email regarding ReValver. We are always glad to hear from our users and we take your concerns very seriously. It is a common occurrence for us to get emails asking about updates to ReValver. As we are a very small team, it tends to take us much longer than some of our competition to get updates and new product out. Because of this, our goal is to make sure that when we do release something, that it is innovative and, well, special.

Having said that, we just so happen to be finishing up a new product in the ReValver family that we are extremely excited about! Alongside this new product, there will also be an update to ReValver to go along with it. Soon thereafter, we will be releasing new amps in ReValver.

So.....stay tuned....and keep in touch.

dickjonesify likes this.
  11. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Yes. You can buy cabs, effects, amps, pedals. The base version just includes a Peavey Valveking and a cab of some sort and some other stuff. But the prices are not bad.

7.99 for amps, 1.99 for cabs, 3,99 for pedals and 2.99 I believe for profiled amps.

The ACT combo lets use profile your own amp or buy profiled amps from the store. Every channel of every amp sold is profiled.

You can also profile your instrument (guitar or bass) to sound like anything else. Strat, Tele, les Paul, acoustic, active passive etc... (I don't use this feature though, because I don't need it). But I can see it being very useful for people who need lots of sounds in their tracks and that beats changing instruments, pickups etc...

The matching eq will match the sound of any audio source you want and you can apply that to your sound.

Also yes, you can use third party IRs.

It really is a very nice software and from all that I have used I keep coming back to it.

12. Dave Merrill

I have enough IRs that I don't think I'd spend for cabs.

Do they offer a pack of all the amps they have? How many are there roughly?

Any break on any of that coming from 3.5?

And yes I'm being lazy to ask instead of dig in myself :)

13. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

they have something called a Producers pack that has loads of stuff.
    there actually not that that many amps 25 or so. including bass amps. all the peavy stuff, some Marshalls, Engls, Diesel ad so forth. I most just use the 6505 and 6505+.

14. Dave Merrill

25 amps x $7.99 is ~$200, for just the amps.

15. Elric

Elric Member

So I stand by my original post. Consider them dead and if they release something someday, great. Until then don’t hold your breath.

16. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

I used Guitar Rig for a long time but I feel like it got worse when I finally upgraded from 3 to 5. I only used Revalver MKII but I thought it felt very real. The ampS, at least, we’re better than GR. GR has a lot of great effects though.

Thanks for reminding me it’s out there. I hope they do release a 5. I might need it.

17. primemover12

primemover12 Member

If you think that's bad, check out what IK wants for individual amps in Amplitube's custom shop. In both cases, the companies are obviously hoping you'll ante up for a bundle. In Peavey's defense though, you can get nearly all the things most folks would want in the producer pack, which is $99. They don't run gimmicky sales like IK or PositiveGrid, and you can demo everything for as long as you want. I've got Bias FX and Amp2, Amplitube 4 MAX, S-Gear, Spark, and Pod Farm, but ReValver 4 still gets my vote.

18. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

No issues on Mac, at least that I’ve encountered. Can’t speak for windows.

The ACT combo is garbage IMO. I bought several amps and couldn’t get anything usable out of any of them.

However, the “regular” modeled amps in the $100 producer pack are some the best sounding, most realistic feeling amp models I’ve ever played. You really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Revalver4 was the first modeling product to incorporate power amp and speaker cabinet impedance interaction in their modeling, and IMO it’s a huge improvement.

I recommend the AC30, Fender Twin, Plexi, JCM, and 5150 models to start.
    I’m thinking this was pre ACT combo release and maybe that is what is being referred to? I hope I’m wrong because MAN that feature sucked.

I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see them drop something new. Revalver4 was a game changer for me and has been for several people I’ve turned on to it.

I do somewhat recall a member here mentioning something about a new bass product or something. Maybe @JiveTurkey ?

19. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Nope, this was like a month and a half ago. And I'm in total agreement; the ACT Combo has been a real disappointment to me. But like you, the complete amp models have been so good. I just finished doing a comparison for a lead part. I cued up the Slash AFD in Amplitube, the AFD in Spark, the Wayfarer in S-Gear (not a Marshall clone, but the only one with significant gain), and the 6505 and ACM in ReValver. I'll take the 6505, the Spark, Amplitube, and S-Gear, and in that order.

20. Dave Merrill

Looks like the Producer Pack is $49.99 because I own 3.5, not too bad. Does that include all the available amps?

How's the Budda pedal pack? Everything in it is types of pedals I'd expect to see in most amp sims. Is that pack the only way to get a Compressor, Chorus, Overdrive, Delay, or OD/Boost? Of those are just special flavors?