peavey rockmaster preamp- how is it voiced?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by feet, Jul 15, 2019.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

long shot, but does anyone have any idea what the channels were voiced to sound like? i'm most curious about the cleans. i'm guessing fenderish, marshally and modded marshall/5150 ish, but if someone knows more, i'm listening.

if i had a better understanding of what they are, i'd know what to do to/with them and how to use them better.

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I had one, modded Marshall for sure. Has a real neat crunch to it, almost an on-or-off thing where it drops out and is ready for the next Big Crunch. Cleans are good, yeah, I guess you can say Fendery, but probably depends on the power amp. I used a tube power amp and could get Fendery cleans, in a generic sense. Very good preamp, but ultimately, I went with straight amps as I can hit the power section better and this pre isn't good enough to carry itself through a SS amp IMHO.

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Nothing like the 5150.

4. feet

feet Supporting Member

oh, wow. didn't expect that anyone out there would still care. thanks for this.

i had fja mod mine many, many moons ago but i think the basic truths hold. as the crunch goes, i long since swapped out the v1 for a 5751, which really opened up the channel. it isn't 0-60 anymore. there are a few points in between now :) it cost some gain and compression from the ultra channel but it was a worthwhile trade off. i can put most of that back with an overdrive or eq pedal if need be.

i think generic, flat and fendery are a decent description of what i got going here, but having never owned a fender, i can't be sure. i guess was trying to nail down which family it belonged to (blackface, etc) if it was in fact fendery. killer pedal platform, but not much color or dirt to be had from it. and with lower gain pickups, it almost sounds like you're going direct at times. sort of hi-fi. so i'm still debating if i can make this work or if i should seek something else out for recording with a load box and wall of sound. i remember it sounding better through a cab, but those days are over for now.

really? nothing at all? i thought this thing was the 5150's grandpa (rockmaster > ultra > 5150, or something like that). doesn't really matter, i guess. i'm just asking for taxonomy purposes. thanks for chipping in. straight up modded marshall, then?

NorCal_Val likes this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

A good friend of mine had one. I thought it was like a hot JCM800.
    It sounded ripping with the Peavey tube power amp.(60w/ch?)
    The 5150 was still, 2 years(?) away.

6. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

Andy Timmons used this preamp during his Danger Danger days, sounds like a modded Marshall but pushed with a pedal for sure. I'd get one for a bargain price.

7. gulliver

I ran mine through a Peavey tube power amp as well. I went from 8 EL84s to 2 EL84s to try to get some power tube distortion, but would not give up the goods. I eventually bought a Voodoo modded JCM800 and it was so much better, sold the rack stuff.

These days, amps are getting the goods out of the preamp section and using the power section to amplify. No need for attenuator, master works. The Rockmaster pre is not there IMHO. I think there are a lot better solutions these days, but if you can pick one up on the cheap, a fun tool with really good tone.

8. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I can't remember if the rockmaster preamp was just a rack mount preamp version of the Peavey Ultra amps or if the Ultra amps came later?

To put it in context of the time it was a very high gain pre and was fairly widely respected, it may have been closer to what Mesa Boogie was doing at the time.. I think some elements of the Ultra channel were incorporated into the 5150 along with the VTM amp at the time

9. feet

feet Supporting Member

i think it does predate the ultra amp, yes. and it has been years, but it did have a crazy buttload of gain, if memory serves. i think thrash and other faster, tighter forms of metal used them then, if not now on the cheap.

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I had one of these when it was all I could afford... never ever got a good sound out of it. Very honky and thin. I ran it through a Peavey VTM60 power amp. The VTM60 was actually good amp... I should've just ran a Boss SD-1 into it and gigged on. You live and learn - this gear journey is an evolution for sure.

11. gulliver

Don't forget the Rockmaster head. I had one I bought used from a music store for $100. It was dead sounding, but I think the power tubes were well past their expiration date. I wish I would have invested in new tubes ... I flipped it instead and made some money on it.

This amp also had the crunch thing going x10. I also had a Carvin X100b at the time. Had I put new tubes in the Rockmaster, I think it would have destroyed that Carvin.