Peavey Special 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rena Rune, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I saw one of these in the local trade in place today - how are these? It was going for pretty cheap and I must admit having been interested in the Bandit before, I'm pretty interested. It's a newer one with a Sheffield speaker. It's not overly heavy, so I was thinking of getting a jack to Hijack it's speaker and use it as a cab, if it sounds alright doing so. It's cheap enough to do a Speaker swap too, which is generally the real weak link in a lot of "better" SS amps.

I'm pretty intrigued, thanks to the price and the "Trash" circuit sounds pretty interesting.

2. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

3. beforetone

beforetone Member

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

It has a "T Dynamics" knob, so pre-modern Transtube. Probably late 90s. In good nick though, so maybe early 2000s. But around 10 years old I'd say at least.

5. beforetone

beforetone Member

I have the latest USA Bandit with a Sheffield speaker. Twenty plus years ago I had used greenbacks, Fanes, Celestion 65's and this Sheffield works out ok. Certainly doesn't make me not like it.
    I bought this amp when I was ampless 10years ago for a yearly jam session. I went through a Tube Driver and a reverb straight to the power amp in jack. Then back to the closet. In recent history I have found the clean channel has some awesome cleans, the lead channel sounds ok tho I do not get the feedback/feel connection in my hands. When I use it I plug a Digitech 2101 in the power amp in jack and play away. The T-Dynamics is nice. I thought I had a loose speaker or something rattling, turned out I had the T-Dymics down low and I was replicating a 5 to 10 watt amp on full volume. Turn that knob and you get some flexable poweramp feel.

6. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I had one for a few years, thought it was pretty decent. Not a Bandit, which I think is a very decent SS amp. I gigged with one for many years, tossing it in the bottom of the tour bus (no case) with zero problems. I say if you can buy it cheap, get it. An amp like that is always a handy thing to have around.

7. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I don't want it if it doesn't sound interesting though. If it just sounds like generic clean cleans and br00tal metal distortion, I don't think I want it. But if it's capable of some interesting tones, then I probably do. Importantly - how much does it weigh? When lifting I actually find it hard to tell, because it's fatigue that decides it, and I doubt they'd let me carry it around the shop for half an hour. I think the weight of the amp may rule it out for me, I hear it has a pretty hefty transformer and speaker.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. beforetone

beforetone Member

Cleans are rich. Peavey did a blindfold test with the Transtube with some Nashville guitar pickers. Apparently they had to choose the solid state amp. They all claimed a tube boutique amp as the s.s. amp. I found I had to cut the eq on the dirt channel as the eq controls are active. You have voice selector also. 40 lbs. It really is a nice piece.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

My old Special 130 surprises people by how heavy it is.
    Good clean ch.

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

40lbs is a lot but less than most tube amps at least.

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Its actually an express not a special, how does this change things? It is heavy too

12. el greco

el greco Member

Express 112 is lighter than a Special. It should be in the 25 - 30lbs range. It's 65W I think and doesn't sound as good as the Special.

13. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

seemed heavier than that tbh. However if it's only 65W, most/all of the weight should be in the speaker which I can swap out for a Tonker Lite.

14. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I used some type of Peavey SS amp back in the early 80's when we played at several different places during the week. Got tired of toting my Twin Reverb. I liked the amp very much.

15. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Tried it today. Pretty generic sounding, to be honest, but it does do a very convincing job of not sounding like a cheap solid state. Very smooth for the most part. The Trash knob is kind of cool though, it's an overly middy amp and there's not a lot going on in the mid range, it seems to suck a lot of that out. It definitely does the "Peavey" sound at higher gain though, and it does start to get a little fizzier then(Which is actually thankful, since it gives it some small amount of character).

The cleans on the regular channel are quite nice, but I'm more impressed with how the regular channel cleans up. Fantastic "Breakup" type tones, was playing a Fat Strat through it and got some great funk tones on the in between positions especially. It's amazing that an amp can do those sorts of tones well, as well as the chuggah high gains so well, while it still feeling like the same amp somehow.

But it's not really what I'm into as an Amp, I think. I like things to sound a bit more interesting, a little fuzzier, or janglier, more character, stuff like Oranges, Ampegs, some old Fenders, etc. It doesn't really do those warm(or nasty) fuzz tones I tend to like. It did take a fuzzy well though, at least.

I'd almost be tempted to get it, swap the speaker and use it as both a cab and backup amp though.

I would absolutely recommend this amp to a young musician who gives a **** about their sound though. I imagine it's loud enough for most gigs, I had to keep the volume very low even on the clean channel. I think it's a nicer rig in many ways than a modeler, and I like modelers. Something a bit more straightforward and natural to it - I'd rather take this and a decent multi-fx like my Zoom G3 than most modeler amps to be honest.

Probably not going to pick it up. If it was lightweight I would have considered it, but I'd have to swap in a lighter speaker and no idea how that'd go.