Peavey special 130 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tomo, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes, the Peavey Special 130 was my first amp here when I came to U.S. in 1987. I still own it. I droped a few times on stairs. It still works. I also owned a JC-120... but I had to sell that for my rent... it was bad memory. After that I started to buy tube amps.

Anyone still own this amp somewhere?

My Peavey special 130

Tomo

2. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Thinking about getting a vintage Peavey solidstate with a good clean channel and then get some good pedals.

3. pepi

pepi Member

Bought a Peavey Special 130 new in 1984. Still got it and use it. Killer with a Tele

:RoCkIn

4. 6789

6789 Member

I played one in the early-mid 80s. I got rid of it a few years ago. This summer I saw one for sale at a shop in Souix City Iowa.

5. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

Psssst...don't tell anybody, but the 130 is a great amp...use the clean channel with pedals and forget about the "lead" channel...this has been Atlanta's own Barry Richman's main live amp for years (and his tone is amazing)...

6. pepi

pepi Member

Yeah, the lead channel really sucks. Nasty breakup sound from it.

7. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

Came very close to buying one for country music in the mid 80's. Ended up with a Renown 400 (YUCK, sold it) and still have a Peavey Nashville 400 (for pedal steel) from the same era.

Gary

8. Tomo

Tomo Member

Glad to see someone remembered about a special 130. Never heard a Nashville 400.... but it sounds like clean tone.

Here is one more. My Peavey special 130 w od pedal

Tomo

9. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I ran a Special 130 for a long time and was happy with it. The only problem I had with it was that after the band bus hit it, it wasn't very loud anymore.

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

My second amp was the 130, my first being a Backstage 30 non master vol. The Special was a good amp and held its own up until I tried to hang with a Yamaha 1/2 stack. Melted the voice coil on the 130, but the amp held in there.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Yup.
    A nicely voiced SS amp with a good midrange control to back out most of the boxiness, and without the annoying hyped-up top end of some SS amps. The lead channel is only good as a clean boost, however. Where can I get info on how to make the lead channel sound like a modern PV? I'd settle for tubescreamer tone.

Doesn't hit like 130 watts should, though....heavy, too.

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

my 1st amp was a backstage. later on, I also had one of those big Musician heads with the built in phaser and eq, and matching cab. lol :)

the backstage worked nicely for cleans. the saturation control was buzzy but sounded good when dialed in for low gain sounds.

A guy I knew in college used a Bandit 65 with pedals. the local Dead cover band guy used a 120 also.

Scott Henderson even used the 120's or 130's basically as power amps.

Peavey was definitely the working man type amp for those who couldn't afford to own or maintain tube amps at the time :)

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks! Another clip on that amp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl12mKAYRpk&feature=channel_page

Tomo

14. hacker

hacker Member

Had to resurrect this thread as I just took one of these in on a trade. Great amp! Tomo, your tone on the second video is fantastic!
    Its hard to believe thats not a tube amp you are playing through.

Tone terrific-I was able to duplicate the tone of my Mazon OD-9 through the clean channel of the amp with the gain channel almost 100%. If you look at a schematic of this amp, there are several 4558 chips in the gain section.

Play around a bit, especially with the mid control knobs, I'm sure you can get a good tubescreamer sound. (Thats if you still even have the amp, I know its 4 years later!)

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My Peavey 130 WAR-horse! Got it free but it does great cleans and passible classic rock tones too! Oh its about the loudest amp Ive heard. Bob

[​IMG]

16. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

almost hate to admit it, but one of the best nites I had was sitting in with a friend's band and using his peavey 2x12 combo (renown??)

I basically set the clean channel the same as my backstage (preamp around 4), and ran my small box rat in front.

didn't Luther Dickinson use one of these as well?

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Mike,

I leave my Special 130 in NY studio so that I can use that when I rehearse with Ny cats.

One time, Oz Noy came to that studio and he plugged his guitar in my Special 130. I offer him a pedal.. but he said " ok, I just use amp's od channel..." I thought it was not greatest overdrive tone. but he just dial amazing Hendrix tone! You never know.

Tomo

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I owned a 4x6L6 Peavey head in the mid 70s. For the life of me, I cannot remember a model or name (other than Peavey), it was a big, loud, Clean Machine. And I *think* it might have had a solid state preamp. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

19. frank62

frank62 Member

It sure is nice to see folks from TPG admit some SS amps sound good and some of them are Peaveys. Crazy good amps for almost nothing in pawn shops these days. I saw a Studio Pro for 30 bucks just last week.

20. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Steve Cunningham (ex-AIM instructor, lap steel master and killer player here in Atlanta) has one that we always jam through and it's killer cleans