Peavey Standard (Josh Homme's new amps)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbell75, Aug 28, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Peavey Standard 260 Series. Anyone heard of (or played) one of these 130 watt SS bass/guitar amps from the 70s? It appears Josh Homme is using two of them in his live rig on the new tour now. Prices seem to be around or under $200 for the few Ive seen. Better get them now! Expect them to go from people's attics, garages and garbage cans and going online soon for $1k :p

[​IMG]

sleewell likes this.
  2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Is this an episode of "Punk'd"?

mbell75 likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Well Jesse from DFA1979 plays with a similar amp, a SS Festival Series Peavey. They are LOUD and have a ton of bottom end. I'm assuming the Standard does too if Homme is playing them. However, it IS Josh Homme who is known for trolling and giving wrong info about his gear. For all we know, his VT40s could be on the backline and the Peaveys are just to confuse people haha. However, that's a really odd choice of an amp to troll people with. A couple Fender Mustang GTs would be classic haha

bullet6759 likes this.
  4. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Hit em' with the right drive pedal and I'm sure they sound great

Ncp10 likes this.
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

isn't there a sunn model T in there?

6. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Yes but the cab it's sitting on top of has no mics in front of it. So I'm not sure what's going on there. Backup rig maybe?

7. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Those have been around since SFTD - maybe even earlier. I've not seen him use them live until now though.

[​IMG]

I don't know how he's using them exactly. For what it's worth, earlier this year he had his old tubeworks amps in place of that sunn, and both cabinets mic'd up instead of just one.

Wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's running those into the peaveys somehow.

8. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  9. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Just bought my first ss head a peavey mk3 all I can say is wow. For $150 mint with phaser, verb, graphic eq, loop, very loud built like a tank, 35lbs. Best doom , Stoner rig so far for playing out.

BenB123 likes this.
  10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Well you never know! Maybe he's just going retro/old-school I suppose... they actually are well-made clean platforms. Or maybe he's trolling!

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I've given away a few of these amps. The last one I gave to a guy in the neighborhood who was learning to play bass for his church band. I also gave him a skinny 2x15 Peavey bass cab to go with it. Sadly he was killed when a wood chipper he was working on blew up. Now this church is telling his family that none of his stuff is in there. They're trying to steal his bass rig.

Anyway, these heavy, sterile sounding amps have 2 good points. They are loud and you can toss them off a roof and they'll still work.

12. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Just got one, and enjoying it. Its got a lot of sounds in it. The tone stack swings dramatically, giving it a lot of versatility. I love the two channels can be put in series - like two gain stages. Here's a famous guitarist who discovered the 260 nearly 40 years ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ant_riv, Agiknee and mbell75 like this.
  13. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Cool. How much did you pay?

14. mbell75

mbell75 Member

He probably has his Ampegs on the backline because only one of those 2x12 cabs is mic'd. The one with the Model T is not. Find it hard to believe he would go from four 4x10 amps to a single 2x12. Something odd is going on there for sure.

15. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i cant imagine tone chasers being interested.
    josh is an incredible player and songwriter but his tone for several albums now has been some of the worst tones ive ever heard, in any genre, of any era, ever.

I think he purposely uses tones that's hard to listen to as a way of distinguishing qotsa's sound from other rock bands.

I love qotsa but their recent albums are soaked in reverb and not good sounding. love the songs but it seems like hes goes out of his way to do everything to make everything sound sloppy and poorly recorded.

Daniel Travis and goddot like this.
  16. sleewell

sleewell Member

doesn't have to be expensive to sound good. he is a great player which helps a lot. plus playing with other great musicians and having a pro sound guy.

17. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

just the opposite of the new album.

18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

One of the loudest bands I have ever seen...and that's not a compliment.

shallbe and jdel77 like this.
  19. SteveO

SteveO Member

I had one of those heads about thirty years ago. Don't remember when I sold it, don't remember what I got for it, and honestly don't care. Not a piece of gear that I would ever revisit.

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Love everything about them as a band. I've seen them twice. . Never really interested in the guitar tone though as his playing and songwriting and vocals speaks to me. I haven't heard them in awhile and after reading the last 2 contrasting posts about the new album, guess I better listen for myself! :)

mbell75 likes this.